This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Roboform Import procedure change?

I'm an experienced RoboForm user. I've been testing 1Password for the past week, and that included an import from Roboform. Your instructions in the user manual say:

Roboform PassCards

Use RoboForm’s “print list” feature, making sure you select the “full URLs” option, to create an HTML file containing your PassCards. Import the resulting HTML file into 1Password for Windows.

Important: If you don’t select the “full URLs” option, your imported Logins won’t work as expected in 1Password for Windows.

I did not find an option to select "full URLs" in my 7.076 version of Roboform. I tried the export anyway and did not get good results. While the data was imported, it was usually slotted into incorrect fields or had user names or passwords associated with the wrong fields. The end result was that I could use it as a password store (and then try to create brand new login cards one by one, which was easier than trying to modify the old ones).

Here's my guess: Roboform has recently released version 7.x of Roboform. It has substantial user interface differences from Roboform 6. Is there no full URL option? Or does it need to somehow be accessed differently? What do you now recommend as an import procedure from Roboform 7.x?

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 2010
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for letting us know, I didn't even know the 7th version came out. It does appear that we'll need to add a specific instruction for it and find a way to import it. Unfortunately, I do not have a time frame on when we'll have something for you. We'll update the thread with more information as we get it.

Update: There doesn't appear to be the option for the full URLs anymore anywhere. While 1Password will import the user data and the location, it doesn't recognize the location as HTTP. We'll continue to look into it.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited December 2010
    The simplest solution is to download Roboform 6, and use the Print List command for Passcards, as described in the newly updated topic [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password_Windows/import-data.html"][i]How do I import data into 1Password for Windows?[/i][/url] in the [i]FAQ[/i] section of the user's guide:

[indent][b]Roboform Passcards[/b]

In RoboForm 6, use the “print list” feature, making sure you select the “full URLs” option, to create an HTML file containing your PassCards. Import the resulting HTML file into 1Password for Windows.

[b]Important:[/b] Roboform 7 seems not to include the ability to export your complete Passcard data. If you don’t select the “full URLs” option available in Roboform 6, your imported Logins won’t work as expected in 1Password for Windows.

[/indent]

We're sorry for the inconvenience.
  • FilterJoe
    edited December 2010
    Thanks! I'll delete all the cards and try again some time in the next few days.
  • [quote name='FilterJoe' timestamp='1293231709' post='18078']

Thanks! I'll delete all the cards and try again some time in the next few days.

[/quote]

I just did the import from Roboform 6 and it indeed works far better. It's not perfect at slotting into the correct fields (password in password field, username considered username, etc.) but it seems to be correct for most of the passwords.

For some reason auto-type doesn't seem to be working so well with these imported cards (opening the web site via a double click in the main 1password software, then clicking autotype). But the Firefix add on is working well with the imported Roboform data.

Thanks for your help!

Joe
  • I'm glad that helped, Joe!
  • Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    [quote name='FilterJoe' timestamp='1293317758' post='18104']

I just did the import from Roboform 6 and it indeed works far better. It's not perfect at slotting into the correct fields (password in password field, username considered username, etc.) but it seems to be correct for most of the passwords.

[/quote]

I have fixed the (username and password) designations. To be included with 1.0.3.160
  • [quote name='Stefan van As' timestamp='1293558908' post='18196']

I have fixed the (username and password) designations. To be included with 1.0.3.160

[/quote]

Terrific - when the next stable release includes this fix, I'll re-import everything from RoboForm. To be honest, I've put testing of 1Password for Windows aside as I was spending way to much time fixing my imported-from-RoboForm logins.
  • We seem to be having a problem with our web servers. Here's what the FAQ topic is [i]supposed[/i] to say about Roboform import:

[indent]In RoboForm 6.9, use the "print list" feature, making sure you select the "full URLs" option, to create an HTML file containing your Passcards. Import the resulting HTML file into 1Password for Windows.

[b]Important:[/b] Roboform 6.10 and later versions seem not to include the ability to export your complete Passcard data. If you don't select the "full URLs" option available in Roboform 6.9, your imported Logins won't work as expected in 1Password for Windows.[/indent]
  • [quote name='DBrown' timestamp='1294940553' post='18936']

We seem to be having a problem with our web servers. Here's what the FAQ topic is [i]supposed[/i] to say about Roboform import:

[indent]In RoboForm 6.9, use the "print list" feature, making sure you select the "full URLs" option, to create an HTML file containing your Passcards. Import the resulting HTML file into 1Password for Windows.

[b]Important:[/b] Roboform 6.10 and later versions seem not to include the ability to export your complete Passcard data. If you don't select the "full URLs" option available in Roboform 6.9, your imported Logins won't work as expected in 1Password for Windows.[/indent]

[/quote]

This may seem like an unusual question, but how do I print to an html file. Roboform does not offer the option.

Thanks!
  • [quote name='Lyle Workman' timestamp='1294946513' post='18946']

This may seem like an unusual question, but how do I print to an html file. Roboform does not offer the option.

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum, Lyle!

I don't have Roboform installed right now, but (as I recall) there's a Passcards > Print List command on the context (pop-up) menu for the Roboform icon in the system tray, and choosing that command displays a window with all your Passcards, and HTML is the output format.

Someone with Roboform handy can correct me, if I've gotten the details wrong.
  • I did figure this out for myself. In RoboForm (R) Version 6.10.1, select Print List from the Logins button. Then in the dialogue box, choose Save and then html as the file type and you should be good to go.

Thanks for everyone's help by posting answers in the forum.
  • Thanks, Lyle.

Just so you know, in our experiments with Roboform 6.10, which doesn't include the "full URLs" option, the resulting HTML file imported fine, but much useful information had been omitted from the Roboform export, and the imported Logins were less useful than desired.

Again, we recommend using Roboform 6.9 or earlier to export your Passcards. The resulting HTML file should yield much more satisfactory results, in terms of the usefulness of the imported Logins.