This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox Vault on iDisk?

joker
joker Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Hi,

just testing Knox... I wonder if it should be possible to create a vault for some small files (banking data) on the iDisk or DropBox directly.

I know backing up there is available, but how about a vault on one of them?

I tried with iDisk and got two errors in a row... don't know about DropBox, as I do not have one at this time.

If it should be possible... how do you think about that? Does using vaults add a massive bandwidth increase?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Dropbox is doable I have 8 vaults located there. Just allow time for creation and them syncing data to the other computers. The vault consist of small bands and dropbox only syncs those changed bands so one the initial sync is done things should go much faster/ easier.

One thing to note I personally would recommend you visit the Dropbox forums and upgrade to the .8.62 build its made to hand macs extended attributes. The reason I mention this is that way a vault created directly on Db gets the bundle flag set correctly. This flag is just a marker telling your Mac that the files are a bundle and not a folder. You can fix this with pathfinder in like 2 seconds if you dont want mess with the beta build of db. I use it on 5 macs and do not or have not ever had a problem with it. If you create a vault on Mac a and sync it and it doesn't look correct etc dont delete it as I said above it can be fixed in no time at all usually.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    You may also visit the forum and read up on some of the posts about sparsebundles.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    joker, welcome to the forums. At this time, we do not recommend using Dropbox or iDisk for your Knox vaults:

[url]http://help.agile.ws/Knox/sync_vaults.html[/url]
  • thightower
    edited May 2010
    G

I am getting a page not found error on your link. Currently im on the old iPhone so maybe that's the issue im having. I follow up later on my MacBook.

Edit : Working fine on my MacBook
  • thightower
    edited May 2010
    I should add that agile warning or suggestion to not put vaults on DB is warranted. There can be issues including corruption, if you try to open the vaults in more than one location etc.

I have multiple layers or protection personally, One my backup plan of Crashplan and having multiple locations set up local and distant. Then there is my knox backups which are kept locally. Then there is superduper. All in all I believe I am safe and all of the files in y vaults could be reproduced although it would be PIA to do so.