This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Updating Existing Logins

I tried to update an existing log-in but something went horribly wrong. To begin with, I could not get 1password to fill in the existing password information even though it was in the database. Secondly, when I right clicked on "generate new secure password" in the new password field, it created a new password as expected. I clicked on the "fill" button and it entered the information into the webpage and effectively changed the password but it never asked me to update the existing login in 1Password. I made sure the names were the same. Also, the clipboard was empty so I essentially changed the password and had no record of the new password and the login information was not updated. Either I am doing something terribly wrong or this does not work as advertised. I sure could use a step by step explanation on how to do this. The information in the help file is woefully inadequate. Thanks.

Comments

• RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    [quote name='td3k' timestamp='1295318786' post='19114']

Also, the clipboard was empty so I essentially changed the password and had no record of the new password and the login information was not updated. Either I am doing something terribly wrong or this does not work as advertised. I sure could use a step by step explanation on how to do this. The information in the help file is woefully inadequate. Thanks.

[/quote]

It is for situations like this that 1Password keeps a complete record of all passwords you have generated using its Strong Password Generator. Just open 1Password and select Go > Generated Passwords from the menu bar. You'll see the list of passwords you've generated.

Once you've found the correct one, paste it into the website's login form along with your email address or user ID, and select "Save Login" from the 1P menu in your browser. That should save your login for future use.

Please let me know how it turns out!
  • td3k
    edited January 2011
    Rob:

Very good - I see that now. Back to my original request, can somebody please spell out step by step the procedures you are supposed to follow if you are trying to update the login information on a website that you already have in 1Password? I could not get 1Password to input the existing password information as outlined in the help file (here is the link to the information I am referring to: http://help.agile.ws/1Password/change_password.html)

I had to go look up the old password and type it in to change it. The information in the change password document does not adequately explain all of the steps to successfully carry this out. Thanks.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    The help document you saw is how it is supposed to work. If it doesn't work that way, then you'll have to update the login manually with the new password. The other option you have is to logout, enter your new information in the login field, and select "Save Login" from the 1P menu. Then choose to replace your previous login. This method works, but it will replace any former notes you stored and will remove your password history. The easiest workaround is to just [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/edit_items_in_browser.html"]edit the item in your browser[/url].