This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Password not recognized

Charlie
edited January 2011 in Knox
Hi-

My external hard drive with a Knox vault on it has been working flawlessly for several years now. However, today the Mac crashed (ran out of memory error) and when I was able to reboot it, Knox could see the vault, but it would not take the password. I checked the hard drive on another computer that also uses it, and we checked to make sure the passwords recorded for it were the same, but it would not mount on the other computer either. It is behaving as if it got a new password either during the crash or on reboot (the hard disk was plugged in the entire time the machine was rebooting). Any ideas on how to get this remounted?

Actually, on looking at the console log files it looks like there were a couple of errors last night with the location of the partitions and a fsevented out of sync with volume error

And as a second note, Knox seems to work fine with other hard drives. In the Log files, it complains that this volume is in the wrong place, although the temporary mounting points look very similar, but they are quite long.

Third note, I think the "not recognized" may be referring to the vault location or type and not the actual password. I tried moving the Plist file and restarting the machine but that did not change the behavior.

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi Carlie, welcome to the forums!

If the vault was opened before the Mac crashed, it may have gotten corrupted by the sudden crash. Did it say specifically that "the password is not recognized" or that the "file system is not recognized?"

Did you try using the backup copy of the vault and see if it took the password?

If you can, please drag the Knox vault file from your external hard drive into Disk Utility.app and have it repair it. To open Disk Utility, you can find it in your Applications > Utilities folder. Select the vault file on the side bar and then press the "Repair Disk" button on the right.

[img]http://cdn.agile.ws/mike/helpdesk/Repair_Knox_vaults.png[/img]

If this didn't work, please contact us at support@agile.ws with a link to this thread and we'll be able to help you further with this issue.