This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

NEVER been asked for a password

Vital Spark
Vital Spark Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Knox
Bought KNOX after email ½ price offer. Installed as it should, asked me for master password for vault creation & thats the last time I have had to enter a password!!

I dropped files into my vault & can open them along with anyone else for that matter without any password. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Tom

Comments

• ajkphotography
    ajkphotography Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    It sounds like you've misunderstood how the vaults work.

When the vaults are open you can use them like any other disk/volume so yes anyone can access them without a password, however once you close/eject a vault you can't open them again without the password. If you've saved the password to the login Keychain, which is generally not recommended, then your keychain will open the vault for you so anyone with access to your user account would have access to your vaults. You could set up a separate keychain for your vault passwords rather than use your login keychain which would give greater security.

How I'm using Knox is as follows, I create my vault, not storing the password in Keychain but instead keeping a record of it in 1Password and closing the vault when not in use. No one else can access files in my vault without the password when the vault is closed, so it's quite safe. Eventually I expect Knox to integrate with 1Password which will make a more seamless experience as if using Keychain.

Hope that's of some use.
  • Vital Spark
    edited December 1969
    I can open my vault without a password.
  • macpug
    macpug Agile Customer Care
    edited May 2010
    [quote name='Vital Spark']I can open my vault without a password.[/QUOTE]

If you are opening it from a closed state, then you likely have the box checked in preferences to store the password in your OS X keychain.

ajkphotography, welcome to the Forums, and thanks for your excellent input. You are correct and I hope that helps. A lot of people are having the same issues, so we'll need to be better about getting the word out about what a vault does and doesn't do.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='macpug']If you are opening it from a closed state, then you likely have the box checked in preferences to store the password in your OS X keychain.[/QUOTE]

To add to what Cindy said, you can locate the entry in Keychain Access by searching for the name of the vault and remove it from there if you so desire. It will end in .sparsebundle by default. So, if your vault was called "MySecrets" the entry in Keychain Access would be called MySecrets.sparsebundle. There won't be any specific mention of Knox for the record, so searching for Knox is not going to locate the entries for you.

Hope that helps.
  • Vital Spark
    edited December 1969
    Yes...thanx to all. It was in Keychain. Works OK when removed from Keychain.

Aslo whoever posted the instructions could be clearer was right altho just a note saying about the Keychain issue would help

T(dance)
  • ajkphotography
    edited December 1969
    :grin: Glad you got it sorted.
  • ajkphotography
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='macpug']ajkphotography, welcome to the Forums, and thanks for your excellent input.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome, I had originally intended just to say hi somewhere but I saw Vital Spark's post and thought I might be able to contribute.

I need to find the right place to say hi properly and say how much I appreciate what AWS are doing, with 1Password especially.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='ajkphotography']Thanks for the welcome, I had originally intended just to say hi somewhere but I saw Vital Spark's post and thought I might be able to contribute.

I need to find the right place to say hi properly and say how much I appreciate what AWS are doing, with 1Password especially.[/QUOTE]

Feel free to do that in the [URL="http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/forumdisplay.php?55-Agile-Lounge"]Agile Lounge[/URL] if you'd like. We enjoy meeting users and getting positive feedback!

Thanks!