This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Product is pretty good

[u]Despite some frustrations, 1password is pretty good.[/u]

Things I like (maybe in order for the first few):

1. Dropbox sync to IOS client devices. This is why I switched to this product.

2. Folders (Not sure I like the limited entry types, but folders let me organize by purpose and include any types. I will navigate by folders. Having both is good--they don't get in the way at all). Nice to be able to save a new login to the appropriate folder from the browser plug-in dialog.

3. Downloading favicons for sites makes it easier to visually recognize what you are looking for. Not essential, but a nice touch.

4. Autofill/autosubmit, when it works.

5. Auto-recognize new logins, when it works.

6. Security (only listed sixth because it is more than sufficient and doesn't get in your way).

Frustrations:

1. When items 4 and 5 above don't work.

2. Insufficient documentation of form filling (to customize things that probably could work).

3. Not enough kinds of items or inability to customize items. (For example, you have an Amazon S3 item that your developers use but no "normal" (e.g., non-tech worker) person uses and are missing items or fields that are more common).

I just added over 200 items, which was [i]VERY [/i]tedious, so we will see how it works. In balance, it was worth switching from another product with which I was entirely satisfied though it has fewer features than 1password. Most of the frustrations arise from adding over 200 items at once rather than over time as I gain a new login to a single site at a time--which is more typical usage. However, migration is an important user case if 1password wants to win more customers.

W/O naming the other product, in fairness because I was very satisfied with it, the pluses and minuses w.r.t. 1password--in my eyes--are:

1. Minus: other had WIFI sync and no Dropbox sync--works but inconvenient. This is THE reason I switched to 1password.

2. Minus: no auto-filling, just copy/paste. This may seem big, but it's more important to set the right expectation and get the feature to work more or less always. "Other" made a choice not to do it. I am sure I'll appreciate the "auto" fill-in with 1password even with its limitations, some of which will hopefully be fixed over time.

3. Plus: customizable types and custom items per type with a very simple and effective UI. I used this a lot but it is not fatal NOT to have it, especially if 1password adds a handful more types and fields. There aren't that many variations under the sun.

Comments

• Thanks for that in-depth summary, Lewis!
  • Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    [quote name='Lewis' timestamp='1296421724' post='19778']

3. Not enough kinds of items or inability to customize items. (For example, you have an Amazon S3 item that your developers use but no "normal" (e.g., non-tech worker) person uses and are missing items or fields that are more common).

[/quote]

Sometime in the future, we're planning on adding customizable item types. No time frame.