This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Automatic domain selection in firefox

<div class="IPBDescription">Firefox automatically inputs the domain in the login window.</div>I'm confused about the domain and realm selection on the login window on both Firefox and Safari. I'm running snow leopard on a macbook air. I just reloaded my computer yesterday, so all software is current. On the login window in firefox 3, 1password automatically installs the domain name. The problem is that my work requires users to add the domain name in the username. Example, ndc\username. If ndc is in the domain in the login window, I can login, but this is not usually the case. 1password seems to pull a different domain name in the login window. It leaves realm blank.

Is there a way to force 1password to allow the user to enter the domain name?

The reason I'm so confused is because safari chooses both the domain (with the port) and realm, but the ndc\username seems to work.

Seth

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, Seth!

I am not sure what you mean by domain and realm in this context. 1Password will save exactly the information you enter on a login page.

Could you please post the URL?
  • See the attached screenshot. These is a Sharepoint site that should be available from outside the firewall. As you can see, the window automatically pulls up modspops.jsc.nasa.gov. The only time I've been able to log into a NASA website through Firefox is when the domain reads NDC. Where does this window pull this information from and can I manually change it?

Seth

[quote name='khad' timestamp='1297104759' post='20185']

Welcome to the forums, Seth!

I am not sure what you mean by domain and realm in this context. 1Password will save exactly the information you enter on a login page.

Could you please post the URL?

[/quote]
  • Seth J.
    edited February 2011
    I can't post the URL for security reasons. But see the attached screenshot. [attachment=506:Screen shot 2011-02-07 at 2.53.41 PM.png]
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited February 2011
    Unfortunately, 1Password will only save what you type for username and password and has no control over domain or realm in an HTTP Authentication prompt. That is a function of the server. From [url="http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/auth.html"]the Apache documentation[/url]:

[quote]The AuthName directive sets the Realm to be used in the authentication. The realm serves two major functions. First, the client often presents this information to the user as part of the password dialog box. Second, it is used by the client to determine what password to send for a given authenticated area.

So, for example, once a client has authenticated in the "Restricted Files" area, it will automatically retry the same password for any area on the same server that is marked with the "Restricted Files" Realm. Therefore, you can prevent a user from being prompted more than once for a password by letting multiple restricted areas share the same realm. Of course, for security reasons, the client will always need to ask again for the password whenever the hostname of the server changes.[/quote]

If there are multiple realms with unique username/password combinations on the same server, you will need to multiple logins in 1Password. 1Password can only save and fill your login information. It does not have any control over domain or realm.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but it sounds like either a Firefox or server issue if I have understood it correctly.