This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Massive Memory Leak

<div class="IPBDescription">1password causes memory leak in Firefox</div>I've traced a massive memory leak in Firefox Beta 4 version 11 to the 1password extension.

Symptom is using a financial website for which I have a login in 1password in a tab in Firefox. When submitting a payment, memory usage of Firefox climbs by 700 or Meg each time a payment is made up to a maximum of 2.5G. There is no way Firefox needs 2.5G to run some simple javascript.

Proof is: run Firefox in safe-mode with all plug-ins disabled and there is no memory leak. Go back to normal mode and one by one disable plug-ins. As soon as I disable the 1password plug-in the memory leak goes away.

At one point after submitting 3 payments in a row, which requires about 2-4 minutes each, I received this message:

chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml:557

Chrome has nothing to do with Google's browser. This is Mozilla's old name for browser addons. Tabbrowser was an ancient addon from Firefox 2. Something in the javascript invokes the plugin which tries to access this old code.

Please investigate and fix.

Comments

• Extra info:

The message above is part of a dialog box that says that a script is taking a long time to complete and requests the user to continue or cancel the script. The message in the previous post identifies the script.

It is part of the web page, of course, and has nothing to do with 1password. But, the severe memory leak only occurs with 1password loaded.

I noticed this because I only installed 1password at the end of January (on beta 9 of Firefox 4). This is the first time since installing 1password that I have gone to this particular web site.

Timing is the other factor that points to 1password's plugin as the culprit.

I had installed no other plugins in the past 6-8 weeks.
  • Additional info:

A related problem occurs in Internet Explorer. Memory consumption doesn't explode--IE simply hangs. CPU usage goes up and IE hangs.

So, it is the combination with one site's usage of javascript and having the 1password plug-in/extension installed.
  • Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    edited February 2011
    [quote name='Lewis' timestamp='1297321972' post='20346']

it is the combination with one site's usage of javascript and having the 1password plug-in/extension installed.

[/quote]

What URL?
  • It's a for-pay service that requires a login.

Would it help if I copied the source of the page for you? It is one of the more script laden pages I've seen.

This is the url after I've logged in: https://cw411.checkfreeweb.com/cw411/wps?rq=ov&sp=6509&osn=d620f54583ec44c9&oss=d620f54583ec44c9

Thanks.

Let me know if there are any other ways to help diagnose, like just sending you all of the <script> ... </script> from the page.
  • Stefan von Dutch
    [quote name='Lewis' timestamp='1297356681' post='20364']

It's a for-pay service that requires a login.

Would it help if I copied the source of the page for you? It is one of the more script laden pages I've seen.

This is the url after I've logged in: https://cw411.checkfreeweb.com/cw411/wps?rq=ov&sp=6509&osn=d620f54583ec44c9&oss=d620f54583ec44c9

Thanks.

Let me know if there are any other ways to help diagnose, like just sending you all of the <script> ... </script> from the page.

[/quote]

Ideally, you provide me with the actual URL you're seeing this problem.
  • I did, in my post.

The front door, if you will, is: https://cw411.checkfreeweb.com/cw411/wps?rq=home&sp=6509&osn=d620f54583ec44c9&oss=d620f54583ec44c9
  • Any thoughts on this?
  • Stefan von Dutch
    [quote name='Lewis' timestamp='1297586060' post='20529']

Any thoughts on this?

[/quote]

Here's what I did:

* installed Firefox 4 beta 11

* launched https://cw411.checkfreeweb.com/cw411/wps?rq=home&sp=6509&osn=d620f54583ec44c9&oss=d620f54583ec44c9

* entered a username and password

Result: 1Password's auto-save prompt appears almost immediately. I clicked on "Save".

Then I closed down and restarted Firefox 4 beta 11

* launched https://cw411.checkfreeweb.com/cw411/wps?rq=home&sp=6509&osn=d620f54583ec44c9&oss=d620f54583ec44c9

* clicked on the 1P button

* clicked on "log in with checkfreeweb"

Result: 1Password fills the username and password almost immediately. There is no performance problem, as far as I can tell.

Am I missing something?
  • Well, thanks for trying.

The problem doesn't occur at initial sign in. That goes quickly. The delay occurs when I enter a new payment and submit the payment. That is a bit more elaborate to test. The payment center page is very js-heavy.

The second possibility is that there are multiple plug-ins interacting. Disabling 1password may solve the problem on my system, but possibly disabling other plug-ins would allow enabling 1password.

Let me know if it would be useful to send you in email a copy of the js from the page. It's sort of a hard site to tinker with unless you setup your bank acct. and payees. I wouldn't expect you guys to go through all that.
  • Stefan von Dutch
    [quote name='Lewis' timestamp='1297658225' post='20574']

The problem doesn't occur at initial sign in. That goes quickly. The delay occurs when I enter a new payment and submit the payment. That is a bit more elaborate to test. The payment center page is very js-heavy.

[/quote]

Are you saying the URL you gave me is not the URL where the problem is? Can you please help me reproduce this?

[quote name='Lewis' timestamp='1297658225' post='20574']

Let me know if it would be useful to send you in email a copy of the js from the page. It's sort of a hard site to tinker with unless you setup your bank acct. and payees. I wouldn't expect you guys to go through all that.

[/quote]

Please do. I'm afraid I need to reproduce the problem at my end, otherwise this is impossible to fix.