This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Feature Request: Copy Button for other fields, and 1,3,7 pwds

In the UK (and I'm sure all over the world) there are now many sites that have weird login requirements - with 1,3rd, 7th letters of your password, and asking you for 1 of your numerous memorable words.

While I can understand that 1P can't cater for all of these - it would be handy if in the second case I could enter all of these memorable words and have them non-displayable like a password along with the copy button (so in this case I can flip to 1P, hit the copy button for the 2 memorable word - which could be just another generated 1P password) and then flip back and paste it.

I was hoping that using the customisable fillin fields in 1P would help, but its only the nominated password field that gets a copy button (which is a shame). So for now I have to fill these things into the notes section, but that doesn't feel as good.

For the first case (the 1st, 3rd, 7th thing) - it would be good to have a 1P menu item that at least let you pick the 3rd character of your password (e.g. a submenu that has numbers 1 to X of your password length, and then you can pick it and it enters it either in a text field or a dropdown?)

This last one is trickier - but maybe that solution is doable?

thanks,

Tim

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi Tim,

You're right, many financial institutions are doing this around the world. I'm not so sure that it is any more secure than the typical setup.

You can add extra fields to the Logins, so that you can copy the field easily within 1Password. See what I did here:

[img]http://cdn.agile.ws/mike/forums/1Pm_Memorable.png[/img]

We added the ability to make any fields *copyable* in one of the most recent updates, so please make sure that you update to the latest version of 1Password to start taking advantage of this.

I’m not sure about using a submenu to grab a specific character. The question then becomes how do we make it easy for you to grab a specific character within a 20-30 characters? Show you a long list? We’ll consider your request and see if we can come up with something simple but I can’t guarantee that we’ll add this.

I hope this helps.
  • [quote name='MikeT' timestamp='1297984577' post='20818']

We added the ability to make any fields *copyable* in one of the most recent updates, so please make sure that you update to the latest version of 1Password to start taking advantage of this.

I’m not sure about using a submenu to grab a specific character. The question then becomes how do we make it easy for you to grab a specific character within a 20-30 characters? Show you a long list? We’ll consider your request and see if we can come up with something simple but I can’t guarantee that we’ll add this.

I hope this helps.

[/quote]

Yes you are right - since I rebooted my computer it asked me to upgrade and I am now seeing that feature (great minds think alike?), so that is very helpful.

As for the 1,5,7 type passwords - its a tricky one, I guess now you can mull this one over (I always feel silly counting them out on my finger though). As for these kinds of passwords you are going to be 20 chars or less I would imagine, so a submenu with entries for 1 to 20 was my first hack at it (I guessed it wouldn't be so bad, but I would want to prototype it?). The alternative would be a little dialog? Or if you are really cool - you understand what its asking and still fill it in (but they get tricky and ask for things like the penultimate letter etc....)

Thanks for the reply.

Tim
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    We will certainly keep this in mind as we introduce new "intelligence" in 1Password. Thanks for letting us know you are interested in this, Tim!