This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Boot Camp Sync

<div class="IPBDescription">One Machine, Two OS' (OS X & 7)</div>Hi there,

I wanted to ask if there was a possibility to get a license for 1Password for Windows that is attached to a single license of 1Password for Mac. I wouldn't want to by an extra license because the Windows-Installation runs on the same machine as my OS X - so, techincally, it's not two seperate machines and therefore not two different license issues.

I don't know if this is possible, but it would really enhance the workflow if I was able to sync my passwords between the two installations.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, ApoY2k!

I'm sorry you're disappointed that the Windows edition is a separate purchase. Giving 1Password for Windows away for free would certainly have made things simpler for everyone and it would have been a wonderful gift to give to all our users. It is something we put a lot of thought into and while thinking this through, we found that giving it away to be cost prohibitive.

The costs are high because the Mac and Windows editions are separate products and we needed to completely rewrite the 1Password code base to make it work on Windows. But the costs don't stop with just development and the costs have gone up across the board: from design, marketing, website, documentation, coordination, and probably most of all, customer support. Because of this, we decided to charge for the Windows version as it has cost a lot of time and money to make it available.

One caveat that is often over-looked is our generous (we call it "sane") licensing mode. Many companies charge per computer (regardless of platform) which greatly increases the cost of ownership and this is not something we wanted to do. To make things as simple and fair as possible, we elected to license 1Password on the basis of per user per-platform. Having licenses associated with a person instead of a physical machine is more natural and, in our opinion, fair. This means you can use 1Password for Mac on as many Macs as you can afford and similarly for 1Password for Windows.

In the end, we decided that in order for 1Password for Windows to be a vibrant product going forward, it has to have a supporting business model. The last thing we would want to see is the Windows version wither on the vine due to lack of financial support from users.

If you don't feel that you can justify the $29.95 for a 1Password for Windows license, you do still have the option to use our fantastic 1PasswordAnywhere feature, which is built right into your data file. This means you can access your 1Password data on any web connected computer using a modern browser such as Firefox or Safari.

If you haven't seen 1PasswordAnywhere yet, you can read more about it in our user guide here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

You can also see it in action on our YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7cQQ7Moow

I'm sorry if I couldn't give you the answer you were looking for, but I do hope you understand the reasons behind this. Thank you for your support of 1Password, we really do appreciate it!

Cheers,