This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Display an opening screen when unlocking 1P

Hi

Is it possible to show some type of image or custom screen or something other than a record stored in 1P when 1P is unlocked?

For example, when I unlock 1P now, it opens the last record accessed. I would prefer that instead of showing the last record accessed that an 'intermediate' page would be shown and only by clicking on a Vault or a Folder or doing a search that records become exposed.

I hope this makes sense...

Eric

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, Eric.

I think I understand what you are describing, but could you help me understand why you would want to do that? If you wish to conceal your data simply lock 1Password (or don't unlock it in the first place). You can have 1Password unlocked in your browser without having the main application unlocked (Preferences > Security > Disable automatic unlock for 1Password) if that helps.

Please let me know. Thanks!
  • [quote name='khad' timestamp='1298338737' post='21105']You can have 1Password unlocked in your browser without having the main application unlocked (Preferences > Security > Disable automatic unlock for 1Password) if that helps.[/quote]

I didn't know that was possible. Basically I wanted access to my passwords but not have to worry about exposing the data stored in 1P while doing screen sharing or to other co-workers. Your solution works for me.

Thanks!

Eric
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited February 2011
    Hi Eric,

You're welcome. I'm glad we have something that fit your needs. You might find this guide to be useful to learn about the rest of the Security Settings: [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/preferences_security.html"]Security Preferences Guide[/url]
  • brenty
    edited March 2011
    [quote name='oreamnos' timestamp='1298311792' post='21073']

Is it possible to show some type of image or custom screen or something other than a record stored in 1P when 1P is unlocked?

For example, when I unlock 1P now, it opens the last record accessed. I would prefer that instead of showing the last record accessed that an 'intermediate' page would be shown and only by clicking on a Vault or a Folder or doing a search that records become exposed.

[/quote]

It sounds like Eric's problem was solved, but I'm going to co-opt this thread because I think he raises a legitimate security concern.

First some background:

1Password [b]decrypts data on demand[/b][sup]1[/sup]. This means that entering your Master Password to unlock your 1Password Vault [i]does not[/i] result in a wholesale decryption of all data in the keychain; rather, [b]individual items [i]within the keychain[/i] are decrypted[/b][sup]2[/sup] when they are selected from the list on the left, so that the data for [i]that particular item[/i] can be displayed in the pane to the right.

Now that we've established how 1Password operates, I'll come to my point:

Without a default landing page, 1Password returns to it's previous state. This can be handy for frequently used data, but it also means that whatever item was selected and displayed when 1Password was last closed/locked is automatically decrypted again for display upon launching and authenticating the next time 1Password is run. All of this only occurred to me when I misinterpreted and extrapolated from Eric's initial post.

For example, while writing this post, when I launched and authenticated 1Password, my bank account and routing number were automatically selected, decrypted, and displayed, even though I had not intended to access that information. Because I had not made a deliberate effort to select a less sensitive item before ending my previous session, 1Password returned to this state. And, apparently, it is not possible to ⌘-click to deselect the item so that no data is decrypted to be displayed in the right pane at the beginning of the next session.

Given these considerations, I believe that there is a case to be made for a "neutral" loading state in 1Password.

[sup]1[/sup] See [url="http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/1958-all-information-is-not-encrypted/page__view__findpost__p__11691 "]post #10[/url] of "All information is not encrypted"

[sup]2[/sup] See [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html#unlocked_vaults_or_unlocked_boxes"]Unlocked vaults or unlocked boxes[/url] section of "Cloud Storage Security"