This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Lost password, how do I reset, please?

The iPhone version of 1Password is dead handy for opening password-protected websites on the iPhone. Or it would be, except that it doesn't recognise the password I thought was the one I'd set for it. Not the numeric sign-in password, but the second one it asks for when you ask to open an app with it.

How do I reset it, please?

Comments

• [quote name='Bewildered' timestamp='1299054720' post='21723']

The iPhone version of 1Password is dead handy for opening password-protected websites on the iPhone. Or it would be, except that it doesn't recognise the password I thought was the one I'd set for it. Not the numeric sign-in password, but the second one it asks for when you ask to open an app with it.

How do I reset it, please?

[/quote]

Hi Bewildered,

Your master password is used to encrypt all your confidential information for each item that has the master password enabled; without this password the data in these items cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the password, or it's not being accepted, you will need to reset your master password. Make sure you're using the latest version of 1Password on your iOS device and then navigate to More > Settings > Security and tap Reset Master Password. Note that any entries that were previously protected by the master password will be permanently lost.

If you reset the database there are a few ways to retrieve your data after the reset:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again, and your data will start syncing to your iPhone automatically. Please see this guide for instructions:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

* If you've previously sync'ed your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac using Wi-Fi, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/sync_to_iphone.html

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/backup.html

Hope that helps,
  • Bewildered
    edited March 2011
    Not entirely, Stu. I went to More/Settings/Security/Reset Master Password, and it asked me for my current password and rejected the one I gave it.

Is there some way I can nuke the app and all its settings and reinstall it from the start? That would be a workaround.
  • [quote name='Bewildered' timestamp='1299110947' post='21754']

Not entirely, Stu. I went to More/Settings/Security/Reset Master Password, and it asked me for my current password and rejected the one I gave it.

Is there some way I can nuke the app and all its settings and reinstall it from the start? That would be a workaround.

[/quote]

Absolutely, though you shouldn't be prompted for your existing master password, did you use 'Reset Master Password' rather than 'Change Master Password'?

In either case, make sure you do have a backup of your data before going any further, you can then delete the app from your iPhone by going to the home screen and then tapping on hold the 1Password icon until you get the 'x' icon at the top left corner, tap this to delete 1Password.

You can then download the latest version again from the App Store. If you are still using the same iTunes account that you used to purchase the app originally, then you will be able to re-download the current version for free. Unfortunately, it won't look like it's free to do so until you choose to "buy" it and enter your password. You don't have to take our word for it though. Here is Apple's official support document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

Another thing you can do to make sure that you won't have to pay for the app again is to try adding it to your Wish List in iTunes. If you already own the app, iTunes will tell you, "You have already purchased this item" and that you cannot add it to your Wish List.

Hope that gets you up and running again.
  • Bewildered
    edited March 2011
    Trying to do that now, Stu, though I had a network timeout in the iTunes store first two times. (Ah, ok, done now and reinstalling.)

Sorry to be dorky and floopy, but how do I get the information into Dropbox and onto the phone? (I have Dropbox set up on both.)

Ah, it's ok, used wifi; not the securest, but heck...

Thanks for your help, Stu.

Oh, one question: it asks me what my username is. How do I find that out?
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited March 2011
    [quote]Oh, one question: it asks me what my username is. How do I find that out?[/quote]

1Password for iPhone only uses a 4-digit unlock code and master password. You should not be prompted by 1Password for a username on your iPhone.

Could you please take a screenshot so we can see the problem? You can take a screenshot by pressing the Home and Sleep buttons on your iOS device simultaneously. This will take a picture of your screen and save it to your Camera Roll. You can attach it to a reply to this message.