This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox and fast user switching

houchin
houchin Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Hi,

Is Knox compatible with Fast user switching. I am currently using Espionage to protect a folder of data, and I can configure that so I can unlock that folder in my account, and the data would then be visible in my wife's account, while we're both logged in.

However, what I really want and I can't do with Espionage (at least now), is to have the protected folder in /Users/Shared (or another place where we both have write permissions) and have each of us be able to unlock the folder.

Whether the other can then see into the unlocked folder while the other has it unlocked, or if that is an error, is not of a concern to me at this moment. I just want both of us to be able to get into the data without making a trip into the other's account.

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    Knox vaults look just like regular files in Finder. You can try putting the .sparsebundle file in /Users/Shared, but in our experience, using this folder is most often more trouble than it's worth because you will invariably run into permissions issues. For instance, new files are by default owned by the user account that created them. So, if you then try to open that file on the other account, you might not have the proper permissions for it.

I would store it in another shared location such as on an Airport Disk. I just tested this with my Airport Disk and when I tried to open the vault on my wife's computer, Finder kindly informed me that the resource was temporarily unavailable. So, that's good because it prevents the vault being edited simultaneously.

We will be making this more robust in a future release by adding some locking to the vault so that Knox itself can determine if the vault should be opened or not.