This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

New to 1Password

<div class="IPBDescription">Three issues with 1Password. Please help!</div>Hi all,

I am trying to transfer all my passwords from the iPhone app "mSecure". mSecure was really good, but didn't have a Mac based application separate from the app.

Three Problems...

Problem 1: If I start a Bank Account entry in 1Password I get the options of Routing Number, SWIFT Code and IBAN Number. As an Australian citizen I have NO idea what these are! Is there a way I can change these field names to something relevant to me?

Problem 2: mSecure had lots of 'Types' you could file things under, each with it's own (or customised) icon. 'Car Information', 'Frequent Flyer', 'Memberships', 'Insurance', 'Passports', etc etc. The 1Password categories seem to be quite narrow and limited. Is there a way to customise the Folders or Vaults?

Problem 3: I exported a CSV file from mSecure. When I do an import in 1Password I just get empty entries. I've tried a number of Character Encodings but nothing works.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Hincey,

Thanks for your post, it's great to hear you're switching to 1Password, I'm just sorry you've not had the best experience so far.

[quote name='Hincey' timestamp='1299491216' post='21954']

Problem 1: If I start a Bank Account entry in 1Password I get the options of Routing Number, SWIFT Code and IBAN Number. As an Australian citizen I have NO idea what these are! Is there a way I can change these field names to something relevant to me?[/quote]

SWIFT and IBAN are international standards for identifying bank accounts, they're used by pretty much every country in the world, apart from the US and Canada. In an ideal world, these would replace regional ways to identify accounts, such as BSB in Australia (if I remember correctly) and the bank sort code we use in the UK.

Right now the 'Bank Account' template within 1Password is fixed, and I'll come onto that in more detail to answer your next point, so you can't add the Australian specifics, however you can use the fields for your own purposes, so the Routing # could be your BSB. Incidentally, if you don't know your SWIFT and IBAN, it should be printed on your bank statement, or available on request from your bank, it's incredibly helpful information to have, especially if you ever want to receive funds from other countries.

Oh and, can you tell I used to work for a bank? Part of my daily duties was to perform international transfers for our customers via telephone banking, so we could spend all day discussing the finer points of international banking, and I won't even go into the disaster I had with my first month's pay from Agile thanks to the joys of my bank in the UK not reading a transfer request properly!

[quote]Problem 2: mSecure had lots of 'Types' you could file things under, each with it's own (or customised) icon. 'Car Information', 'Frequent Flyer', 'Memberships', 'Insurance', 'Passports', etc etc. The 1Password categories seem to be quite narrow and limited. Is there a way to customise the Folders or Vaults?[/quote]

As I mentioned briefly above, at the moment the templates within 1Password are fixed, so you can't customise them or create new ones. This is something we're hoping to change in a future version of 1Password, allowing you to not only customise existing templates but to also create new vault types and templates, however I don't have a timeframe for exactly when this will be available.

For now, we also have the 'Secure Notes' section for any information that doesn't fit into the existing set of templates, it's not ideal in some cases, but they are encrypted just like the rest of your 1Password data.

[quote]Problem 3: I exported a CSV file from mSecure. When I do an import in 1Password I just get empty entries. I've tried a number of Character Encodings but nothing works.[/quote]

In general you shouldn't need to change the character encoding, however 1Password can only import Login and Secure Note items from an exported CSV file, regardless of the application it comes from. We've created a guide on how to handle this import process here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/import_passwords.html

This is something we want to improve on for future updates, but with so many applications using different data formats and ways of structuring their data it can be difficult to support every exported file.

I hope all that helps a bit, I know they're not all the answers you were looking for, but as I said we've got some plans to really improve the customisability of 1Password going forward.