This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How do I relocate the backup location?

I am trying to relocate all my 1Password stuff to an encrypted disk image (yes yes, I know 1Password already encrypts things, that's a subject for another post), however when I try to move the backup location, all the folders on my disk image are greyed out, preventing me from picking anything. I had the same problem with the data-file location but simply renamed the local 1Password folder (in Application Support) which allowed me to then select the 1Password folder off my disk image.

Thoughts?

Tim

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited March 2011
    Hi m00dawg,

I assume you’re making an encrypted disk image on the main drive? 1Password is designed not to backup to a dismountable file system and a disk image is one of them. The reason is because of the encryption we use, once the encrypted data stream is interrupted, that specific data cannot be recovered. So, the fact that you can open and close the disk image at any point increases the risk of the interruption.

If you understand the risk, then you can configure the backup location manually and externally from 1Password. Please follow these steps for 1Password 3:

1. Quit 1Password application's Preferences window.

2. Run the Terminal utility (found in /Applications/Utilities/).

3. Copy the following string (see notes below) and Paste it into the open Terminal window:

[code]defaults write ws.agile.1Password keychainBackupFolderPath ~/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/Backups[/code]

Notes:

The supplied string is the default location for the backups.

Substitute in an appropriate path to the folder where you want the individual 1Password backups to be stored.

Spaces, special characters and capitalization are extremely important.

No errors or specific output are expected.

3. Run 1Password and choose the File -> Backup Data File menu option to insure new backups can be stored into the new location. A Finder window should open with the new backup highlighted. Failure to see this means there is a problem with the "defaults write" command above or the chosen path cannot be written to.

4. Quit Terminal when the backup test is successful.
  • Yep indeed the disk is on the main drive. I wanted to keep all my sensitive stuff in one area was my reasoning there. Good to know about the risks and workarounds, thanks very much!
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi m00dawg,

You’re welcome. If there’s anything we can do to help, just let us know!