This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Baffled by how to set up — Mobile Safari and Wi-Fi Sign In Page

OK, so here goes - I have a wifi network that I want to use that has no security on it, but a web based login.

So on my ipod touch I go to prefs, select the network, then open safari and it redirects to a login page, where I can enter my username and password, and log in. Every. Single. Time.

So I buy 1password, hoping to be able to log in automatically.

I set up a login, where I enter the website, the user name and password, but I can't get it to work - when I select the login from 1password I get "Failed to load page - The Internet connection appears to be offline." Then a blank screen. How do I get around this - there is no wireless strength bar at this point, but the wireless network is selected in prefs, and safari will display the login page.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi torment,

I'm sorry for the trouble here, unfortunately I don't think 1Password can help you in this situation.

The main reason being that the 1Password app can't be integrated with Mobile Safari in same way as 1Password is integrated with web browsers on the Mac and PC. This is because Mobile Safari is not extensible with plug-ins at this time.

For this reason, we've included a Safari-like browser within 1Password that you can use to fill your details on web sites. You can learn more about logging into sites with 1Password by looking at our user guide:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_iPad/log_into_sites.html

The problem you're facing is that before you can even get a Wi-Fi connection, which 1Password needs to access any sites, the wi-fi network you're using requires you to authenticate. I'm guessing this is handled via something like LEAP, where you authenticate before you're given a proper IP address on the network, and Mobile Safari can handle this, would I be correct that it brings up a pop-up window?

If that's not the case, if possible can you provide a screenshot of the Wi-Fi login request, so we can see how it's being handled and if there's anything we can do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this one.

[quote name='torment' timestamp='1299712158' post='22171']

OK, so here goes - I have a wifi network that I want to use that has no security on it, but a web based login.

So on my ipod touch I go to prefs, select the network, then open safari and it redirects to a login page, where I can enter my username and password, and log in. Every. Single. Time.

So I buy 1password, hoping to be able to log in automatically.

I set up a login, where I enter the website, the user name and password, but I can't get it to work - when I select the login from 1password I get "Failed to load page - The Internet connection appears to be offline." Then a blank screen. How do I get around this - there is no wireless strength bar at this point, but the wireless network is selected in prefs, and safari will display the login page.

Thanks!

[/quote]
  • That's a shame. It looked from the promotional material that 1password would work. Is there a way to get a refund?

Thanks.

[quote name='stu' timestamp='1299715660' post='22172']

Hi torment,

I'm sorry for the trouble here, unfortunately I don't think 1Password can help you in this situation.

The main reason being that the 1Password app can't be integrated with Mobile Safari in same way as 1Password is integrated with web browsers on the Mac and PC. This is because Mobile Safari is not extensible with plug-ins at this time.

For this reason, we've included a Safari-like browser within 1Password that you can use to fill your details on web sites. You can learn more about logging into sites with 1Password by looking at our user guide:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_iPad/log_into_sites.html

The problem you're facing is that before you can even get a Wi-Fi connection, which 1Password needs to access any sites, the wi-fi network you're using requires you to authenticate. I'm guessing this is handled via something like LEAP, where you authenticate before you're given a proper IP address on the network, and Mobile Safari can handle this, would I be correct that it brings up a pop-up window?

If that's not the case, if possible can you provide a screenshot of the Wi-Fi login request, so we can see how it's being handled and if there's anything we can do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this one.

[/quote]
  • Torment,

I'm sorry if any of our promotional material was at all misleading, it would really help us to know which part led you to that conclusion, we obviously need to fix it.

As much as I'd love to say that we can give you a refund, unfortunately, since the App Store is managed by Apple, we're not able to refund your money ourselves. You will need to contact the iTunes Support team for help with this:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact.html?form=app_store&topic=App%20Store&subtopic=How%20to%20use%20the%20App%20Store

If you are unable to click that link, please try this shortened version:

http://agilewebsolutions.com/s/1e8be66f3

I hope that you are able to get the matter resolved quickly by Apple and to your satisfaction, however I do thin it's fair to mention that Apple's terms for the iTunes Store do state that 'All sales are final'. It's rather frustrating for us as developers because we can't make our customers happy, and that makes us sad.

[quote name='torment' timestamp='1299718610' post='22173']

That's a shame. It looked from the promotional material that 1password would work. Is there a way to get a refund?

Thanks.

[/quote]
  • [quote name='stu' timestamp='1299719138' post='22174']

Torment,

I'm sorry if any of our promotional material was at all misleading, it would really help us to know which part led you to that conclusion, we obviously need to fix it.

[/quote]

Well, unless I am missing something, it looks from your promotion material that you can use 1password to fill user name and password fields - it's a fairly big issue for this use case that there is a big exception to that, ie that this feature will only work on web pages that are not wifi-log-in front pages.

One feature that I was trying to use was the Safari bookmarks - I was wondering whether there was a way to get Safari to bring up the log in page and then switch to 1password, as your documentation suggest (using a bookmark)? but I can't get that to work either.

Thanks,
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    I know it may not be ideal, but you could store the information securely in 1Password's Accounts vault and copy & paste the information. It could prove simpler than typing it in every time. Unfortunately, without an Internet connection, I don't know that any iOS app can pull up a web page. We will see if we can resolve this in a future update, though. I will do some testing at some local Wi-Fi hotspots which use such a system.