This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Can't Find 1PW Keychain in Time Machine

Kevin in San Francisco
edited March 2011 in Mac
<div class="IPBDescription">Normal copy destroyed by another software company!</div>Hi Folks,

I bought a pretty keen program that I will not name, and it was throwing away superflous stuff, updating apps, dumping duplicates, and the sorts of things we like programs of that nature to do.

However, I have a huge problem.

While 1Password was running, I threw away a duplicate download of 1Password. The new, tidy-up program asked if it should throw away associated files, to which I hesitantly responded "yes."

I watched in horror as my 1Password screen-full of pass words, notes, etc. all disappeared.

No problem, right? Maybe a week's worth of data lost because I can re-install 1PW again (did) and use the "find existing" function to get the last back-up in Apple's Time Machine to restore my sanity.

But I can't find that keychain. Neither search nor spotlight show anything on the back-up, because the back-up iss not indexed/journaled (not sure if I'm using that term correctly, but "find" doesn't show anything of any kind on the b.u., not even a plain-old .jpg)

Helllllpppppppp! Bank accounts, EVERYTHING is on there and gone. Or is the p-list that the other company chucked named in such a way that "unerasing" will likely turn it up, and I can drop it back into the Library/Application Support spot?

Thank you!

Yours in Anxiety,

Kevin

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, Kevin. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

I think there is a lot of "spring cleaning" happening a little early this year. I have seen this sort of problem a handful of times this week.

Did you check your trash? Many of these sorts of "helpful" applications will leave the files in the trash. You are looking for a folder called "1Password" or your data file which would be called "1Password.agilekeychain."

Are any of 1Password's local backup copies still available (File > Restore Data File from Backup)?

If not, you will need to restore your data file to its proper place and use the restored copy for 1Password to work properly. Please quit 1Password and Start Time Machine. Within Time Machine navigate to

Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password

and look for the file 1Password.agilekeychain there on your Time Machine. Select it (one click), but do not launch it (don't double click on it).

Now we need to restore it. Click on the gears thing in the Time Machine "Finder" tool bar and select Restore ... You will be asked where you would like this restored to. The location to restore it to is

This time it be placed where it belongs in your real Home and not in Time Machine.

Once you have done that navigate to that restored file in its real location (not on Time Machine) and double click on it. 1Password will ask you if you want to switch to using this data file. Say "yes".

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Hi Khad,

The rub is the portion below: as explained, Time Machine doesn't journal/index the folders, and in the last three back-ups that it made, I see no folder for 1Password. It's no doubt there somewhere, but the problem is finding it.

Will contact Apple for this emergency, but this is really a problem!

Please email me privately for developers' email of the product that unceremoniously flushed my data while your program was running - they say they're fixing it, but I think you two should chat.

Again, how to find the file within Time Machine is the problem needing solving, and that I imagine others will be having, too. BTW, I do have Time Machine turned to "off," as I'm concerned it will back-up and write over the files I need to restore. Perhaps this is part of my problem?

Recreations of issue appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

[quote name='khad' timestamp='1299923821' post='22290']

Within Time Machine navigate to

and look for the file 1Password.agilekeychain there on your Time Machine. Select it (one click), but do not launch it (don't double click on it).

[/quote]
  • danco
    danco Senior Member
    I'm not sure if Back-in-Time or Backup Loupe have trial periods, but if they do they might help with the problem.

Back-in-Time provides a much better interface to the Time Machine backups than Time Machine itself, and Backup Loupe also has advantages.
  • Thanks for posting these suggestions, danco, hopefully they can help Kevin get his data back.

[quote name='danco' timestamp='1300013406' post='22347']

I'm not sure if Back-in-Time or Backup Loupe have trial periods, but if they do they might help with the problem.

Back-in-Time provides a much better interface to the Time Machine backups than Time Machine itself, and Backup Loupe also has advantages.

[/quote]