This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Problem when quitting in the middle of an update

Gnarlodious
Gnarlodious Junior Member
I downloaded the update doing other stuff in the front. Then I forgot and right-clicked the dock icon and closed the app. As I did that, I saw the dock showing 2 open windows, one the update window. But it was too late, for some reason the updater just aborted the whole install process. So I restarted 1Password expecting the updater to re-open and ask me to install the download, but no such think. I would have to start all over again because apparently the download was not cached.

It is no big deal, I could download the update twice, or 10 times, until I remember to manually run the installer. Except that I have done this before and it seems stupid. Why can't the installer interrupt quitting to ask for verification? Or else, the installer could run when re-launching the app. Just wondering why updating is so much work.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited March 2011
    Hey, Gnarlodious. I'm sorry that you had this problem.

The updater should run again even if it was manually quit. You can also manually check for updates from 1Password's application menu (1Password > Check for Updates).

I'll pass this along to the developers to see if this is something we can change in the future or if the lack of caching is related to the verification process we employ in the automatic update process.

Normally, the process is a simple two-click procedure if it is not interrupted. When prompted to install an update, click "Install" then click "Upgrade and Relaunch" after the download is complete. We experimented with background (zero-click) updates, but we had to focus on other features. We may come back to that in the future.
  • Gnarlodious
    Gnarlodious Junior Member
    The problem really only occurs when the app is quit while the installer is waiting in the background. When the installer window is open, it should make you click a dialog before closing.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Thank you for the feedback!