This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Organizing Financial Passwords (1pass or Quickbooks)

I think I have read the documentation and looked at the videos but I am still confused as to what I can do with 1Pass. Can anyone help me out? I am trying to figure out if I should purchase the iphone app but need to know what I am doing.

1. Can I enter Financial and other types of "non-web browser" type information in 1Pass and easily retrieve it? If so, how do I do this and where is the documentation on these steps?

2. Can I /review/ my existing website based passwords and/or logins and change them through 1Pass or otherwise see which ones I want to change? Can I print them all out so I don't have to keep them manually? Can I enter the passwords /into/ 1 Pass from the list I have written down?

3. Right now I am having a terrible time figuring out which login names and which passwords I use for which sites (this site is another new one) - should 1Pass be the answer to this once I have gone through all the sites and asked it to remember these?

4. I have a bunch of financial information I have written down. Assets, Addresses, etc etc. Should I put these in one pass and buy the iPhone App so I have them with me or should I put them in Quickbooks which will be on my mac? Should I put them on both?

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. Is there a way to be automatically notified of posts to this forum?

Comments

• Hi Jon,

First of all, welcome to the forums and thanks for considering 1Password to manage all your information. If you want to be notified of replies to this thread you can click the 'Watch Topic' button at the top of the thread and set your notification options as you wish.

The first thing I'll say is that you'll probably want to get 1Password for Mac to start with, rather than the iPhone app, because while 1Password for iPhone can do a lot of 1Password for Mac can and can also sync your data, it's a lot easier to get started on the Mac.

[quote name='hotwheels #22' timestamp='1301405505' post='23496']

1. Can I enter Financial and other types of "non-web browser" type information in 1Pass and easily retrieve it? If so, how do I do this and where is the documentation on these steps?[/quote]

You can indeed, 1Password has quite a few templates for storing non web-login type information. For example, we have the Wallet section for storing details of credit cards, bank accounts, your passport details and various other items. We also have the Accounts sections for storing usernames and passwords for logins that aren't on a website, for example databases, wireless networks and servers.

We don't have complete documentation on what each of the different vault categories can be used for, but you also have the option to store information that's not suited to any of our current templates in the Secure Notes section of 1Password. Also, in the future, we hope to make 1Password more customisable so you can create your own templates to store data that doesn't fit into what we currently have.

[quote]2. Can I /review/ my existing website based passwords and/or logins and change them through 1Pass or otherwise see which ones I want to change? Can I print them all out so I don't have to keep them manually? Can I enter the passwords /into/ 1 Pass from the list I have written down?[/quote]

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'review' your existing passwords. When you first login to a site that 1Password hasn't saved a Login item for before you'll be asked to save this to 1Password's vault as we describe here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/3min_password_manager.html

You'll then start to build up a vault of all your website logins, you can of course enter these manually by creating new Login items within 1Password but in general the easiest way is to save the logins through your browser. When you want to change the password for a site to something more secure you can follow our guide on changing your passwords here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/change_password.html

Of course, while we don't recommend doing this, you can print a list of all your saved 1Password items by going to File > Print All from within 1Password.

[quote]3. Right now I am having a terrible time figuring out which login names and which passwords I use for which sites (this site is another new one) - should 1Pass be the answer to this once I have gone through all the sites and asked it to remember these?[/quote]

Yes, when you save a Login within 1Password you can give it a unique name so that you can easily locate the login details for a given site, and as mentioned above with our browser integration you'll easily be able to fill your details for that site when you're ready to login.

[quote]4. I have a bunch of financial information I have written down. Assets, Addresses, etc etc. Should I put these in one pass and buy the iPhone App so I have them with me or should I put them in Quickbooks which will be on my mac? Should I put them on both?[/quote]

I don't know much about what type of information Quickbooks can store, but if it's specifically designed to hold details of financial assets it may certainly be a good option. 1Password is suited to storing logins and other personal information but it's by no means a dedicated financial asset tracking app.

Hope that helps give you an idea of what 1Password can do. Oh, and before I go, let me point you toward something you might find quite beneficial for getting started with 1Password. Our friend Don McAllister from ScreenCasts Online produced a terrific screen-cast a few months ago on 1Password. Here's the link for it:

http://www.screencastsonline.com/index_files/SCO0246-1password3.php

It's a brief overview of 1Password, full of great tips and information that would probably help you quite a bit.  If you click on the link above, you can read the overview, then scroll down a bit and you'll see where it says "Watch the free show from this web page by clicking on the videos below"... then select the video picture/link that says "Play LowRes" to watch it on your Mac, as shown here:

http://cdn.agile.ws/cindy/1PMacSCO-20110318-172605.jpg