This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Stored Data

jstcb
edited March 2011 in Knox
<div class="IPBDescription">Server Stored Data</div>Where does your encrypted confidential data get stored, meaning the "Server" ? Is this Agile's server and can anyone else access the data? I always like to keep my data on "my" computer and wondering about issues with security.

Comments

• Hi jstcb,

First of all, welcome to the forums, it's great to have you with us.

Knox doesn't sore your data on any servers, the vaults are stored on your local drive in the location you see when you go to Preferences > General from the Knox menu-bar icon. You can change this location for newly created vaults and also move existing vaults as you see fit.

Hope that helps,

[quote name='jstcb' timestamp='1301500927' post='23564']

Where does your encrypted confidential data get stored, meaning the "Server" ? Is this Agile's server and can anyone else access the data? I always like to keep my data on "my" computer and wondering about issues with security.

[/quote]
  • If I drop my address book or any docs into a dropbox, do I then erase the application or original documents on my hard drive? Ie: I dragged over some word docs and they were copied into the secure dropbox, but still exist in my folders; do i now trash them? Sorry guys I am new to this and maybe someone can direct me to a user manual. Thanks!
  • Hi Stu,

Thank you. That was helpful. Do you know if I drop a file or folder into a lockbox, do I delete or trash the original? I put my mac address book in a box. do I trash the app?

best,

[quote name='stu' timestamp='1301501288' post='23568']

Hi jstcb,

First of all, welcome to the forums, it's great to have you with us.

Knox doesn't sore your data on any servers, the vaults are stored on your local drive in the location you see when you go to Preferences > General from the Knox menu-bar icon. You can change this location for newly created vaults and also move existing vaults as you see fit.

Hope that helps,

[/quote]
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Hey jstcb,

[quote]If I drop my address book or any docs into a dropbox,…[/quote]

While [url="http://www.dropbox.com/"]Dropbox[/url] is a separate application, you can store your inactive (backup) Knox vaults in it if you wish, but we do not recommend storing active Knox vaults in your Dropbox folder. I think that possibly you meant "vault" when you wrote "dropbox," though, since your original post was in reference to storing data in the cloud, and it sounds like you are trying to avoid that.

If you copy an application to a Knox vault, it will not encrypt its data, only the application. This is not really that helpful since anyone with Mac OS X installed on their Mac has access to the same application. They obviously don't have access to your personal data, but the application you encrypted is available to every other Mac user.

If you copy files to a Knox vault, you will probably want to securely delete them from their original location outside the vault. Consider this like making a photocopy of a document in the real world and then only storing the copy in a vault. You want to shred the original if you want to keep prying eyes away.

To secure delete files, first empty your trash of files that you do not need to delete securely. Doing this will ensure that only the files you need to securely delete will be deleted in a secure manner since the process is much more time consuming than regular deletion.

[color="#FF0000"]WARNING: Please do not delete any applications from your system! Be very careful when doing this since the files cannot be recovered after being securely deleted.[/color]

[list=1]

[*]Empty trash (Finder > Empty Trash)

[*]Move files you wish to securely delete to Trash

[*]Secure empty trash (Finder > Secure Empty Trash)

[/list]

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!