This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Problem syncing

canayou
canayou Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
Hello,

I have an iPhone with 1password, a macbook pro with 1pass 3 (snow leopard) and a power mac with 1pass 3.

I sync the 2 macs with dropbox without problem.

But I can't sync anymore with my iPhone :

my iPhone is well recognized by 1pass and the icon appear under "sync" in the left sidebar.

i try to replace informations on the iPhone by the macbook ones.

"something happens" between iPhone and Macbook. History on my iPhone tell me :

accepted new connection

>handshake

authentificating "macbook-pro-etc-etc"

closing connection

<handshake

BUT nothing occurs on my iPhone on which exactly the same informations remains an no new ones from my macbook are added.

what did I (or didn't I) did wrong ?

Thanks

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Hi canayou,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry for the difficulty you are seeing with Wi-Fi synching between your iPhone and your Macbook.

Can you first make sure that you are using 1Password version 3.1.3 on your Macbook. In 1Password go to

1Password > Check for Updates ...

We've made some under-the-hood improvements to Wi-Fi syncing in recent updates.

If you already are using 1Password 3.1.3 could you also check when it thinks it last synced with your iPhone? In the 1Password on your Macbook select your phone under SYNC and see what it says for Last synced and for Status. Does its "Last synced" time correspond to the history on your iPhone?

Please let us know; this will help narrow down the problem.

And once again, let me welcome you to the forums.
  • canayou
    canayou Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jpgoldberg']Hi canayou,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry for the difficulty you are seeing with Wi-Fi synching between your iPhone and your Macbook.

Can you first make sure that you are using 1Password version 3.1.3 on your Macbook. In 1Password go to

1Password > Check for Updates ...

We've made some under-the-hood improvements to Wi-Fi syncing in recent updates.

[B]OK that's what I've done[/B]

If you already are using 1Password 3.1.3 could you also check when it thinks it last synced with your iPhone?

In the 1Password on your Macbook select your phone under SYNC and see what it says for Last synced and for Status.

[B]8 week ago[/B]

Does its "Last synced" time correspond to the history on your iPhone?

[B]No it does not[/B]

Please let us know; this will help narrow down the problem.

And once again, let me welcome you to the forums.

[B]Thanks a lot[/B]

[/QUOTE]

See my "bold" answers above.
  • jpgoldberg
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update, canayou. That was extremely helpful.

This may not solve, it but I've got another thing I'd like you to try before I start looking at network problems.

In 1Password on your Macbook, go to where your iPhone is listed under SYNC and right click on it. You should see a menu pop up which has "Delete" listed. Do that Delete. This won't affect your data, it only tells 1Password on your Mac to forget what it knows about trying to talk to your iPhone. Then quit and restart 1Password on your Mac.

Then on your iPhone open 1Password and give it your unclock code (four digit number) and also go to an entry that requires your master password for your iPhone, so that your 1Password data is completely unlocked before we try syncing again.

Now with your data unlocked on your iPhone, we'll try syncing again. This will involve establishing a connection with your Mac from scratch. So go to More ... > Settings > Wi Fi Sync.

At this point 1Password on your Mac should prompt you for your authorization codes it uses to set up a connection with your iPhone.

If it does, proceed and let us know how it goes. If not, I'm going to guess that there is a networking issue, possibly the result of a firewall like LittleSnitch or VirusBarrier running on your Mac.

Please give this a try and let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

-j
  • canayou
    canayou Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello again Jeffrey,

You know what ?

It works !

Thank you very much.

I feel better, and I know what to do in the future in case of problem.

Have a nice day.
  • Whitby_Bob
    Whitby_Bob Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi, sorry to just jump in like this but I was having the same issue. I tried the delete but think I deleted too much. Now there is no "sync" section anywhere in the desktop app. Is it possible to re-install without losing all my passwords?
  • jpgoldberg
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='canayou']You know what ?

It works !

Thank you very much.

[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome.
  • jpgoldberg
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Whitby_Bob']Hi, sorry to just jump in like this[/quote]

Hi, Bob.

Feel free to jump in at any time.

[quote]

but I was having the same issue. I tried the delete but think I deleted too much. Now there is no "sync" section anywhere in the desktop app. Is it possible to re-install without losing all my passwords?[/QUOTE]

Bob, this is perfectly "normal". There is no need to reinstall 1Password. (1Password can be reinstalled without disturbing your data, but that isn't what we need to do here). (Well it's not "perfectly normal", we would have preferred for it to have worked for you as it did for canayou.)

If 1Password on your Mac didn't even see that 1Password on your iPhone or iPad was trying to talk to it then the most likely cause is something about the network setup. Your Mac and your iPhone need to be on the same local network. Even if things are in the same house, they can be on different networks.

Now I should be honest with you upfront, there are lots of different ways that we can have network configuration problems. We'll try to get syncing working for you soon, but it might take a few back and forth questions and things for you to try.

So first of all, are you running any kind of local firewall software like Little Snitch or VirusBarriar. If so, let me know and we'll work through how to configure them to let 1Password on your Mac talk to 1Password on your device.

The other things is could you tell me whether this is a home network or something in a business. It is typical for business to keep their wireless networks separate, but it is also more common for household wireless routers to provide a "home" and a "guest" network.

So tell me a bit about your network. Whatever information you have, brand and model of your router if you know it, whether your Mac is connected wirelessly or not. Things like that.

So let me know. And let me reassure you that other than the syncing problem itself there is nothing wrong. Deleting the iPhone from SYNC did pretty much what I expected it to.

Cheers,

-j