This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

console error -5000

<div class="IPBDescription">-[NSFileManager pathFromAliasRecordData:] ERROR! FSResolveAliasWit</div>Hi there,

I've found lots of error messages in the console like:

03.04.11 10:36:33 Knox[182] -[NSFileManager pathFromAliasRecordData:] ERROR! FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned error -5000

some ideas ?

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, truss!

I'll see if I can't grab the attention of someone with a bit further knowledge of Knox than myself. Are you having any symptoms beside that line in your log file? Are your vaults mounting and unmounting properly, etc.?
  • khad
    edited April 2011
    Sorry for the long delay. I was hoping to get the answers to the above questions, but please try this:

If you create a new backup folder and then set Knox to back up to that specific new folder, do the errors still show up?
  • Zr40
    Zr40 Junior Member
    I'm also getting this error in the console. It is triggered every time a Time Machine backup starts (which backs up to the Time Capsule), and for each trigger, it logs the error six times.
  • khad
    Knox uses Apple's "sparse bundle" technology for its OS X 10.5+ compatible (the default) vaults. Sparse bundles should always be excluded from Time Machine and other backup/sync products specifically because if they are currently mounted by OS X at the time of a backup, any utility that backs it up will appear to "succeed" but data integrity is not guaranteed. At some point you may end up with a sparse bundle that cannot be mounted if it is restored.

That's one of the prime reasons why Knox's built-in backups will always close/dismount the vault: it makes the resulting backup a consistently valid copy of the original.

You should have no trouble with Time Machine backing up the *backups* of the vault(s) since they are not mounted by the file system.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Zr40
    Zr40 Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for your reply, but I think you're responding to a different issue.

Knox logs these -5000 errors every single time a Time Machine backup starts, regardless of whether a vault is mounted. It's unrelated to backups made by Knox itself.

Edit: Looking at the SDK headers, it appears that -5000 is 'afpAccessDenied'. This would imply that Knox is trying to access something on the Time Capsule when (or after) it's being mounted by Time Machine.
  • khad
    Maybe I have misunderstood your issue, but Knox vaults need to be explicitly excluded from Time Machine backups ([b]System Preferences > Time Machine > Options[/b]). Is this the case on your Mac? Please let me know. Thanks!
  • To add to Khad's excellent reply, please take a look at another one of Khad's excellent replies: [url="http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/2476-securing-external-hard-drive-time-machine-backup-with-knox/page__p__14629#entry14629"]Securing external hard drive Time Machine Backup with Knox[/url]
  • Zr40
    Zr40 Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    [quote name='khad' timestamp='1308741820' post='29940']

Maybe I have misunderstood your issue, but Knox vaults need to be explicitly excluded from Time Machine backups ([b]System Preferences > Time Machine > Options[/b]). Is this the case on your Mac? Please let me know. Thanks!

[/quote]

I think you have. As I said, it's not about Time Machine backing up Knox vaults, it's about Knox doing something (and logging errors) when Time Machine starts (even without any vault opened).

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Set up Time Machine on a Time Capsule.

2. Run Knox with or without any vaults

3. Start a Time Machine backup.

When the Time Machine backup starts, Knox will log the following error three or six times:

[code]27-06-11 09:08:28 Knox[189] -[NSFileManager pathFromAliasRecordData:] ERROR! FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned error -5000[/code]

According to the Mac OS X SDK headers, error -5000 is afpAccessDenied, implying that Knox is trying to access something on the Time Capsule volume.

I'm guessing Knox is looking whether the just mounted volume is encrypted using Knox' full disk encryption. But since no process other than Time Machine has write access to the special Time Capsule mount (and to the Time Machine backup disk image itself), it fails.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi Zr40,

Thanks for your research in this matter.

They are not usually a concern. Knox prompts an error for each vault on the list or in your preferences file for Knox, this is a definitely a bug. We do plan to fix that in the future but I do not have a timeframe. We’re working on a lot of things for Knox at the moment, I believe once we finish it, it should remove those errors.