This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox + Address Book and iCal

Enricus
Enricus Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Can I use Knox to protect my Address Book and iCal data? If so how does one do that? Is this going to prevent sync with time machine or sync with my mobile phone? thanks

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, Enricus. I'm sure that technically speaking, this is possible. However, I think it is at best risky to use Knox to encrypt system application data like your Mail library, iCal data or Address Book data. First, the location of the data is fixed, so this will require a workaround: move the actual data to a Knox volume an create a symlink to it where the application is expecting to find it.

Additionally, I am not sure what benefit this would provide. Because many programs on the Mac depend on that data being available, your system may behave erratically when the vault is closed. For example, if the Address Book is needed, or iCal, and the Knox vault is closed, I think that blank libraries would be created by the applications and then that blank data could be sync'ed via MobileMe.
  • Enricus
    Enricus Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for your reply - this means I cannot protect the data in my Address book or iCal with a password system for example?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    There may be ways to do that, Enricus, but it is not a function suited to Knox at this time, I'm afraid. I know Jeff has been doing some research to see if he can get this to work without jeopardising data integrity or otherwise causing trouble. If he is successful, we will happily publish a tutorial to help our customers do this. However, if it is at all risky, we will maintain that Knox is not the tool for this job.