This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Uhm... Agile Foreign Transaction Fee ?

binaryeric
binaryeric Senior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
This is more of a general "Agile" topic - but I incurred this fee while buying Knox so I am posting it here.

I know that you guys are in Canada... many will not. All credit card companies definitely will know.

I just noticed that I was charged a foreign transaction fee for my Knox purchase. Had I known that Agile wasn't using a US payment processor I would have chosen a card (the only one) that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

Just an FYI - A few years ago credit cards started charging 1%-5% (depending on the card) of a transaction in a foreign transaction fee for transactions in foreign currencies. Unfortunately, they also have begun charging these fees for transactions that are in USD but take place outside the US.

Agile should disclose this on the payment page.

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    We see this issue periodically, but the charge is actually not coming from us at all, but rather is an additional fee added by your bank. We make note of it during the checkout process:

"Note that Agile Web Solutions is a Canadian company and some banks elect to charge US customers a small fee for international transactions, even when performed in US currency. This fee is set by the bank but is normally less than one dollar and is collected directly by the bank and not us."

This never used to happen, but recently some banks started adding an extra fee to orders, ranging from 30 cents to a little over a dollar. We've discovered that they are doing this because we are a Canadian company, even though the transaction is in US dollars.

Sadly there is not much we can do about this. We are quite upset about the entire thing and are considering opening a US subsidiary to handle payments just so we can avoid this problem. It's our hope that enough people will call their bank to complain about this and compel them to change their policy.
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Jamie,

Yes, I knew that it wasn't the fault of Agile... but I apologize, I did not see the note that you have quoted here. As long as you have that note, that I didn't see, that's all you can do.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='binaryeric']Jamie,

Yes, I knew that it wasn't the fault of Agile... but I apologize, I did not see the note that you have quoted here. As long as you have that note, that I didn't see, that's all you can do.[/QUOTE]

Just so everyone that's reading this thread can find it later if they want, this notice is on "Step 3 of 5" of the Online Store purchase process. This is the same page that you'd begin selecting your method of payment, entering the card number and so forth.