This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Feature Request: Complex Gesture to Unlock

wwarby
wwarby Senior Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
1Password for iPhone/iPad is great, but typing a very strong password on the device's virtual keyboard can be tedious, especially when considering you have to re-enter it every time you leave the application and return to it. It occurs to me that the ideal unlock mechanism for a touch screen is not a typed password, but a picture drawn with one's finger.

The way I imagine this working is that you set your own custom unlock gesture which would work in addition to the traditional typed password for unlocking. My thinking is that such a gesture would be easy to remember, difficult to crack (if suitably complex) and most of all, very quick to enter on a touch screen device.

An example of the kind of gesture/drawing I mean is, for example, draw a circle anti-clockwise starting at the 6 o'clock position, then draw a diagonal line through it south west to north east, then touch three of the corners of the screen in a particular order. Sounds complex but you can imagine how quick that would be to do once you commit the action to muscle memory. Another alternative might be a stick man drawing, but the key is that each line would have to be drawn in the right order and in the right direction. Obviously a degree of tolerance would need to be built in, and a "gesture strength meter" tool would also be necessary.

This seems like quite a difficult feature to implement but for me it would take 1Password for iPhone OS to a new level of usefulness. Just a thought :^)

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    That is a really cool idea. It really reflects the kind of new thinking that the touch interface requires.

At the moment, I can't begin to speculate on either the security implications, nor on how feasible this would be to implement.

Thanks! :-D
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    There's so many ways you can take advantage of the touch screen capacity for security, the question is how easy can you forget it compared to a password? How about how easy it is for people to memorize images than words? If you draw a circle, draw a line at certain angle, touch three corners, it's far easier to memorize that over somebody's shoulder than it is to remember 490845Nu84$.

We actually need to have a lot of studies done on this to know for sure.