This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Basic Questions

As a new user of 1Password 3.5.9, I have a couple basic questions for which I couldn't readily find the answers.

1. How can I view a particular password that I previously saved? For example, I might need to verbally verify a password while on the phone.

2. If I open a webpage that requires a password, I can click on the "1P" button on my browser's toolbar & select "Fill & Submit..." to automatically enter my password & open the webpage. What would prevent someone's else from using my computer & accessing a secure webpage in the same way?

Thank you kindly.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2011
    [quote]As a new user of 1Password 3.5.9, I have a couple basic questions for which I couldn't readily find the answers.[/quote]

kitjv,

Welcome to the Forums and to 1Password!

[quote]How can I view a particular password that I previously saved? For example, I might need to verbally verify a password while on the phone.[/quote]

Personally, I use the "Option" button on the keyboard to show hidden passwords. Click on the saved login in 1Password, and then push down and hold the "Option" key. The actual password should be revealed.

[quote]If I open a webpage that requires a password, I can click on the "1P" button on my browser's toolbar & select "Fill & Submit..." to automatically enter my password & open the webpage. What would prevent someone's else from using my computer & accessing a secure webpage in the same way?[/quote]

If you are concerned about individuals using your computer, a simple solution is to lock 1Password. If you click on the Safari 1P icon, you should see the "Lock 1Password" selection, just below "Save Login…" (see attached pic).

After locking, when you click the 1P icon and select a menu item, a box will pop up prompting you to enter your master password. Once entered, all your logins are unlocked. However, once unlocked, it stays unlocked. So, when you plan to be away from your computer, remember to "Lock 1Password" again.

Hope I answered your questions.

bswins
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    Hi kitjv!

Let me just add a bit to the excellent advice that bswins has provided.

[quote name='kitjv' timestamp='1304691822' post='26404']

1. How can I view a particular password that I previously saved? For example, I might need to verbally verify a password while on the phone.[/quote]

bswins already told you about holding down the option key to temporarily switch whether passwords are displayed or not. That is also my favorite way of doing things. But just so that you know, you can also switch this in [i]View > Conceal Password[/i] in the 1Password menubar.

[quote]

2. If I open a webpage that requires a password, I can click on the "1P" button on my browser's toolbar & select "Fill & Submit..." to automatically enter my password & open the webpage. What would prevent someone's else from using my computer & accessing a secure webpage in the same way?[/quote]

Again, bswins pointed you in the right direction. You should lock 1Password. Please also go to [i]1Password > Preferences > Security[/i] from the menubar to set auto locking.

Another good practice (and not just for 1Password) is to make sure that everyone who uses your computer has their own account on the computer. OS X also provides a "Guest" account. You can manage these on OS X by going to System Preferences > Accounts.

Also in System Preferences > Security > General you can set your account on your Mac to require your login password after the screen saver begins.

I don't want to overwhelm you with security advice. So don't feel that you need to adjust everything all at once. Each one of the recommendations works well on its own, so take it one step at a time.

Cheers,

-j