This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Can't erase files or reformat external drives , WD My Book

MarkTReagan
MarkTReagan Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
When I erase files on my external drive they go away but I don't get the disk space back after I empty the trash. I am using external WD drives the My Book models.

So I tried to reformat using Disk Utility first setting up a new partition, that did not work, the process stopped saying the disk could not be dismounted. I had the same problem just trying to erase it, same message.

I am using Snow Leopard, just bought Knox last week, everything is up-to-date on my iMac. This is a disk that has run for years with no issues. It is a WD 500GB My Book.

Any suggestions? I can't use this drive.

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MarkTReagan']When I erase files on my external drive they go away but I don't get the disk space back after I empty the trash. I am using external WD drives the My Book models.

So I tried to reformat using Disk Utility first setting up a new partition, that did not work, the process stopped saying the disk could not be dismounted. I had the same problem just trying to erase it, same message.

I am using Snow Leopard, just bought Knox last week, everything is up-to-date on my iMac. This is a disk that has run for years with no issues. It is a WD 500GB My Book.

Any suggestions? I can't use this drive.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forums, Mark. I'm sorry it's problems that brought you here!

Knox doesn't interfere with the Finder or emptying of the Trash locations on volumes. What it can sometimes do however is "hold" a drive so it cannot be dismounted (Disk Utility needs to to this for some of its operations). Quitting the Knox application clears the hold so if you're trying to reformat just quit Knox first. We're looking into this "hold" to see if it can behave better.

Did you use Knox to "Reformat a volume as an encrypted vault" on that volume?

The only way to know why your deleted space didn't get reflected by Finder would be to get a full listing of the files on that device, including hidden ones. If you are interested in doing that, feel free to contact us at [email]support@agile.ws[/email] using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.