This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion Sidebar, password hints, and other miscellaneous issues

immaterial
immaterial Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
First off, 1Password is great, I don't know what took me so long to discover it. Going to register as soon as the bank mails me my new debit card!

Now, on to my nitpicking, and I should warn you I'm picky :-D.

[LIST]

[*]You're using a nonstandard/custom sidebar. It's close to what you see in iTunes or Mail or Finder, but the fonts are a bit off (and not only are the font sizes a bit bigger, the row spacing in some places is a bit LESS, which makes categories like Folders look very cramped). Since 1Password 3 is just for 10.5+ you can use an NSOutlineView with NSTableViewSelectionHighlightStyleSourceList, and report your category headers as group items in outlineView:isGroupItem: and you're all set with a standard sidebar. It's probably a lot less code than you're using right now.

[*]This is less important, but when editing names in the Sidebar the editing field doesn't take the icon into account. Maybe this is intentional (to maximize space?) but again it works differently from Mail/iTunes and looks sort of goofy (in my opinion anyway). I believe NSOutlineView's editing field should automatically pop up in the right place if you're returning titleRectForBounds: and imageRectForBounds: properly in the NSCell subclass you're using to draw the icons & titles.

[*]I sent a suggestion to your support staff about this already but now that I'm here on the forum I'll mention it again: When I first set 1Password up it refused to continue until I put something in the 'password hint' field. I don't want or need a password hint (I ended up entering a single space to satisfy the requirement that the field not be empty). That really should be optional. If you're really concerned people might forget a password hint when they actually want one, maybe throw up an "are you sure?" dialog like OS X does when you make a user account with no password.

[*] There's already another thread on this, but I want to agree that the All, Untagged, and Unfiled smart folders need to be disableable/removable.

[*]I hear Smart Folders and Tags aren't syncable with your iPhone app (haven't downloaded that yet). I'm sure that's already on your to-do list but again I want to add my voice in support of that.

[/LIST]

Thanks for the awesome app!

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, immaterial! Thanks for all the great feedback, we really appreciate it.