This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

questions about backups and restoring, + remote access

I'm wondering about using Knox and have some questions about how backing up and restoring would work for my particular concerns.

So I use Knox to store sensitive information, like scans of all my travel documents (I travel a huge amount) and I backup to Dropbox. The laptop gets stolen on the road plus all my ID (yes, this happened recently). I have no way of getting at my information until I get a new mac, load the programme and download the backup. Is that right? What I really want is a way to keep sensitive information on my laptop safe from prying eyes but also have some way to access it remotely via the internet.

Also, the advice not to backup to TimeCapsule. I understand that, but by excluding the vault, I'm not excluding the actual programme, right? Again, laptop stolen, I'm putting the TimeCapsule backup onto a new laptop. Knox will be there as a programme which I then link to the backup on Dropbox. Is that right?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2011
    Hello Cathy and welcome to the Forums!

Thank you for considering Knox and for posting your questions and concerns.

I use Knox for the same purposes that you mentioned. I store sensitive information and I backup to Dropbox.

At least daily, I use Knox's backup procedure to make the backup and store it in Dropbox. You can also have the backup file included in Time Machine. The problem is that some users are backing up [b]mounted [/b]vaults to TM. That is where data corruption can happen.

Knox automatically [b]dismounts[/b] the volume before backing up, so you are safe that way. A backup file is not mounted, so you can safely store it on your laptop, in Dropbox or on an external [color="#1C2837"][size="2"]TimeCapsule[/size][/color] or usb drive.

The backup is encrypted with your Knox password, so it should be safe from everybody's prying eyes...including AgileBits, Dropbox, laptop thieves, friends, colleagues, etc.

Regarding whether the Knox application and the vaults are separate, [b][u]yes[/u][/b] they are separate. So, your TimeCapsule should have a copy, if needed. However, you can always go to AgileBits' Download site and get the latest release: [url="http://agilebits.com/downloads"]AB Program Downloads[/url] You will need to reenter your license key.

If you don't have a copy of your key, you can have it sent to you very quickly using the following site: [url="http://agilebits.com/home/licenses"]Key Request[/url] (usually in less than 5 minutes)

I hope I answered your questions. If I didn't, and/or you have additional questions or concerns, please post them.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Wow. I really wish I had something to add here, but it looks like Brandt stole the show!

If you have any other questions, Cathy, I will be happy to help...that is, if this guy doesn't beat me to it again.[img]http://forum.agile.ws/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]
  • Cathy
    edited June 2011
    Thank you! The distinction between the mounted vault and the backup of the closed vault is very useful. I follow all that and am happy that it would work for me. And the level of support that you offer is impressive!

But I'm still not clear on this question.

The laptop has been stolen. I'm in another country using a public computer (or a friends). I want to access information contained in the Knox vault backup I have stored on dropbox. Can I get into it on the internet just by using my password to unlock it? Or do I have to have access to a copy of the Knox programme to be able to get into the backup?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    You can access your backup by downloading it to a Mac computer and mounting the file with the Disk Utility program found in the Applications>Utility folder.

This will give you quick access w/o having to download Knox right away. However, be sure to dismount the backup file and upload the file back to Dropbox.

It is not recommend to mount volumes directly from Dropbox.