This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Feature Request: "Save Login" in 1Password's built-in browser

On Windows I use IE8 to go to a site, fill in the login info, and click the 1P icon to Save the Login. How do I accomplish the same thing on the iPad?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    [quote name='MikeV99' timestamp='1307202831' post='28485']

On Windows I use IE8 to go to a site, fill in the login info, and click the 1P icon to Save the Login. How do I accomplish the same thing on the iPad?

Thanks

[/quote]

Hello Mike,

At this time, you cannot save logins using the iPad. Apple's iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) use Mobile Safari for a browser. Apple's current iOS [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface"]API[/url] does not allow for browser extensions. [url="http://help.agile.ws/1Password_iPad/mobile_safari_toolbar_icon.html"]Mobile Safari Toolbar Icon[/url]

Consequently, 1Password is not able to communicate with the specific webpage, and there is no way to create the Login.

If you wish to add a new Login manually on your iPad, you can do this by clicking on the Logins section and tapping the "+" symbol in the upper right corner (next to the Search field). I've done this a couple of times while away from my desktop, but it requires a quick multi-task action. Not optimal, I agree, but it is a viable workaround if you need it.

I'm sorry I didn't have a "hidden feature" revelation for you. If Apple eases the restrictions for developers one day, I'm sure there will be an avalanche of extensions hitting the market. However, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Brandt
  • I am using the built in 1P browser. Why can't the globe icon offer that option since it is not Safari? Sometimes creating logins manually on the ipad do not work correctly since the page structure does not get captured. I guess I should not be trying to use 1P's browser and just do Safari with the 1P shortcut? Bummer.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    I understand your frustration, but the built-in browser does not offer the ability to save Logins either (as you experienced)

I'm not one of the developers, so I do not know the underlying reasons why that functionality is not a current option for iPad, but I do know that in an effort to get the iPad version approved by Apple for inclusion in the App Store, some abilities had to be left out.

However, I am sure AgileBits' has some great upgrades planned in the future for their 1Password mobile apps. Please know that if you want it, we probably want it just as much as you do. So, keep the faith!
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    [quote]Why can't the globe icon offer that option since it is not Safari?[/quote]

We are considering this for a future version, but I don't have a time frame for if/when it will be available.

[quote]Sometimes creating logins manually on the ipad do not work correctly since the page structure does not get captured.[/quote]

True. Without actually capturing the form field names from the page's source code, it can be much more difficult to simply "guess" at what they might be. If you are syncing with 1Password for Mac or Windows, you can save the login in your desktop browser which [i]will[/i] "learn" the correct field names. When you sync the login to your iOS device, it should fill properly.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but we appreciate knowing this feature is important to you. Thanks for the feedback! It helps us prioritize features in future versions.

If you need anything else, we are always here to help.

Cheers,