This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox Extremely Slow

I just recently installed Knox and have set up one vault. But the program is just incredibly slow. Lots of beachballing, etc. And this is on a pretty powerful Mac desktop with lots of RAM. There's no way the program is supposed to run this slow, because it's all but unusable. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot and get this working?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    Hello joshmar and welcome to the Forums!

I experienced a similar problem when I first started using Knox. The problem for me turned out to be that I was not dismounting my Knox volume prior to shutdown, [i][b]and[/b] [/i]I had toggled the [i][b]Start on login [/b]box in Preference>General. [/i]

For some reason, my iMac did not like that setting. I deleted the vault before troubleshooting further, so the real reason may have been one of the files I placed in the vault, but I've noticed that unselecting auto-start appears to solve many such BOD problems.

Please reply with your current Knox version, OS X version and the lone Knox vault type (i.e., sparsebundle vs. sparseimage) and vault size.

You are correct that Knox should not be running this slowly. We'll find the reason as quickly as possible.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Okay, I do not have start on login set to on. I'm not sure I fully understand the dismounting prior to shutdown issue though.

I'm running Knox 2.0.8 (135)

OSX 10.6.7 w/5gigs of memory

I'm actually not clear how I know whether I'm using sparseimage / bundle

Also, perhaps this will help focus the question. The slowness seems to start when the program itself is opened. It gets bogged down before even trying to open a particular vault as near as I can tell.

btw, thanks in advance for the help.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the reply joshmar,

I relayed my previous just as a shot in the dark before you replied. I wanted to give you something to try before you came back with more details.

At least we've gotten that out of the way!

The image/bundle designation is part of the file name, so you can tell by locating the vault by going to Preferences>Vaults and double clicking on the Vault location path. If you used the default name, your vault will be called either knox.sparsebundle or knox.sparseimage.

Regardless, it doesn't appear to be an issue related to the file type. I'll be happy to go into the differences if you wish, but first I'd like to get your Knox version running without seeing spinning wheels.

My initial impression is that your Knox installation may be damaged. Your experience does not always mean this is true, but it happens more times than not. There are two ways to reinstall the program.

First, you can drag the Knox app icon to the trash. This will delete the application, but will NOT delete your data (the .sparsebundle or .sparseimage file)

Second: Download a new copy from AgileBits' website and install as usual: [url="http://agilebits.com/knox/mac/release_notes"]Knox Downloads[/url]

[b]However[/b], before doing step 1 or 2, please try downloading the latest Beta version of the program and seeing if some of the newer code solves your issue. If it doesn't, you can proceed to 1 & 2 with nothing lost.

In order to try the Beta, please go to Preferences>Version and check the [i][b]Include betas[/b][/i] box. Then, click [b][i]Check for Updates... [/i][/b]

I know this is frustrating, but we'll get you fixed up soon enough.

Thanks for your patience.

Brandt
  • unfortunately from what i can tell that didn't make any difference. did beta, then tried fresh reinstall of the current release. even rebooted to clear out the system before reinstalling.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2011
    joshmar,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to resolve your issue by trying the usual fixes.

I will need to see some of your log files to see what's happening. In this case, please email us at support@agilebits.com and attach this file:

Home > Library > Logs > Knox > Knox.log

For some users this file doesn't exist so don't be alarmed if that's your situation as well.

Also, there could be errors in your Console so I'll need to see those too. You can get these logs as follows:

1. Launch Console, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

2. Click the "Clear Display" button on the toolbar.

3. Launch Knox, let it fail (i.e., spin for a while), and wait 15 seconds to let the Console refresh.

4. Press Command-A to select all the logs and Command-C to copy them to your clipboard.

5. After starting an email to support@agilebits.com, press Command-V to paste the logs.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

I look forward to resolving this.

Thanks for your help!

Brandt