This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1P freezes IE9 for 10+ seconds

On Windows 7 64-bit it is possible to run IE9 in either 64-bit or 32-bit mode. (In 64-bit mode there is no 1P plugin. It is understood that the 1P plugin is not yet supported.) In 32-bit mode, I can invoke 1P with either the control/slash or the 1P button in the Command Bar. When invoked, there is a 10+ second delay before the pop-up shows up. During that delay period IE is not responsive and the CPU is spiked for the duration. I tried disabling the automatic update check but it makes no difference. (Please note that Firefox 4.01 works fine.) Further, when the insertion selection is made, there is another lengthy delay with the CPU spiked. During that time the 1P window say that 1P is unresponsive. In a recent attempt at testing this, a pop-up window (from 1P I believe) says that IE is denying access to a <frame> because it is on some other domain, whatever that means. A second attempt with the same web site inerted the fields properly. Any explanation for this behavior? Also, any time frame on when 64-bit will be supported?

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, dumbo!

The "access to a <frame>" message appears when you're attempting to log in to a web site on which the login page has been coded in such a way that the part of the page containing the login form (typically username, password, and submit button) is enclosed in an HTML <frame> tag, and the contents of that frame are loaded from a location with a different domain than the URL of the login page itself.

1Password needs to perform a little bit of scripting to save and fill forms, but Internet Explorer considers "cross-domain scripting" a potential security risk and refuses to allow 1Password to proceed. All 1Password can do is let you know, which is the purpose of that message.

Firefox and Chrome do not make the same restriction, so we can only suggest using one of those browsers for such web sites.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We've heard a couple of reports of a delay invoking the 1Password extension in IE, but we cannot replicate it here. I haven't heard of CPU spikes before this, though. What version of 1Password are you using? (Help > About 1Password)

There's no information about when a 64-bit extension might become available.
  • "The "access to a <frame>" message appears..."

Yes, I read that and I understand it well. However, It appeared on only one attempt of three on the same page, Amazon login. Something else is wrong here.

"1Password needs to perform a little bit of scripting..."

Yes, I read that also. However, it did NOT fail, it just worked after some time delay.

"Firefox and Chrome do not make the same restriction..."

IMHO, Chrome is awful. I have been using FF for years but the new version of IE seems better to me. I wanted to switch which is how I found the problems. However, I would be restricted to using the 32-bit version in order to use 1P. Since I have over 200 unique logins, not using 1P is not an option so using IE is out for now.

"We've heard a couple of reports of a delay invoking the 1Password extension in IE..."

I always update to the newest versions of software when available. The CPU load may be from the browser (and probably is), not 1P. I didn't look to see which one.

Keep up the good work. 1P keeps getting better...
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the follow-up, dumbo!

It's surprising that 1Password would display the "<frame>" message for a page on which the code doesn't actually include a cross-domain reference; as I understand it, 1Password is simply interpreting what Internet Explorer reports to it. I hope your information will help the developer check to see what's going on, but it would be even more helpful if you could tell us a precise URL where that message appears some times but not other times.

It would also be helpful if you could tell us the exact version of 1Password you were using. Always updating to the newest version could mean two different things, depending on whether you have the [b]Include Beta versions[/b] option enabled on the Updates tab of 1Password preferences.

Thanks!
  • All I recall is that is was one of the Amazon sign in pages. The version was the beta just prior to 1.0.6.BETA-198