This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password for Windows not updating with Dropbox

billfrech
edited June 2011 in Windows
I have 1Password installed on all of my devices (Macs, Windows PC, iPhone, iPad). Overall it works very well in conjuction with Dropbox. I have recently added some new entries via a Mac. Dropbox is updated immediately. All devices show the new entries except for my work Windows PC. Looking at the keychain in Dropbox, the time-stamp is correct. I cannot get 1Password to show the new additions. I had this happen on one of my Macs a while ago and simply clearing (or turning off) the cache worked fine. I do not see this option in the Windows version. My path to Dropbox is correct as I see all of my other data.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this? My apologies if this has already been addressed. I looked through the forum and could not find anything regarding this issue.

BTW, I am running the latest verion of 1P on all devices.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Comments

• Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    Are you sure 1Password for Windows is "reading" your Keychain in Dropbox? You can validate this here: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > General
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited June 2011
    Bill, if the General tab of 1Password preferences does show the correct path and filename for the Dropbox-sync'ed 1Password data folder, you might also click the Dropbox icon in the system notification area and check to make sure Dropbox sync'ing hasn't been temporarily paused on your PC.
  • [quote name='Stefan von Dutch' timestamp='1308246894' post='29323']

Are you sure 1Password for Windows is "reading" your Keychain in Dropbox? You can validate this here: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > General

[/quote]

I don't get what you mean by "reading". When I go to Prefeneces - General, my Dropbox path is shown (grayed out, but clearly shown). Also, everything I have in 1P prior to the latest entries is there. If it weren't "reading" the Keychain, would it not be empty?
  • [quote name='DBrown' timestamp='1308251343' post='29330']

Bill, if the General tab of 1Password preferences does show the correct path and filename for the Dropbox-sync'ed 1Password data folder, you might also click the Dropbox icon in the system notification area and check to make sure Dropbox sync'ing hasn't been temporarily paused on your PC.

[/quote]

It was not showing Paused. I changed it to Paused and then back again to "Resume". Then opened 1P and the latest entries are still not there. Is there some cache I can perhaps clear?
  • billfrech
    edited June 2011
    Just an update. Just got home and discovered that none of my Windows machines are updated. Not sure what's going on.

And....my iMac was not up-to-date. On the Mac, I simply unchecked the "Use Cache" option and clicked "Clear Cache" and it instantly updated. I think the Windows machines are using an old cache as well. Is there a way to clear the cache on the Windows version?
  • Stefan von Dutch
    [quote name='billfrech' timestamp='1308265163' post='29345']

Just an update. Just got home and discovered that none of my Windows machines are updated. Not sure what's going on.

And....my iMac was not up-to-date. On the Mac, I simply unchecked the "Use Cache" option and clicked "Clear Cache" and it instantly updated. I think the Windows machines are using an old cache as well. Is there a way to clear the cache on the Windows version?

[/quote]

The Windows version is not using a cache. It is reading your actual keychain.
  • [quote name='Stefan von Dutch' timestamp='1308313828' post='29406']

The Windows version is not using a cache. It is reading your actual keychain.

[/quote]

OK. Now I'm really confused. I've just added a text file (Test.txt) to the dropbox. Appears on [u]all[/u] of my devices immediately. However, I am now noticing that the "1Password.agilekeychain" file in Dropbox has different timestamps on different machines. It's all the same Dropbox as proven by the new Test.txt file appearing. Why (how) would the 1Password file not be same on all machines?
  • Fixed. I found that the problem was that I was looking in the Internet Logins folder on the Windows machine and the new logins were not there although that's where they were on the Macs. They were located in the "Logins" Vault on the Windows machine. So as it turns out, they were there all the time. My apologies for not discovering this earlier. I really do appreciate everyone's help.

Bill
  • Stefan von Dutch
    [quote name='billfrech' timestamp='1308448872' post='29502']

Fixed. I found that the problem was that I was looking in the Internet Logins folder on the Windows machine and the new logins were not there although that's where they were on the Macs. They were located in the "Logins" Vault on the Windows machine. So as it turns out, they were there all the time. My apologies for not discovering this earlier. I really do appreciate everyone's help.

[/quote]

Are you saying you created a folder named "Internet Logins" in 1Password on your Mac, and this folder does not synchronize (does not appear) in 1Password for Windows? If that is the case, then we might have a bug here after all.
  • [quote name='Stefan von Dutch' timestamp='1308466144' post='29531']

[quote name='billfrech' timestamp='1308448872' post='29502']

Fixed. I found that the problem was that I was looking in the Internet Logins folder on the Windows machine and the new logins were not there although that's where they were on the Macs. They were located in the "Logins" Vault on the Windows machine. So as it turns out, they were there all the time. My apologies for not discovering this earlier. I really do appreciate everyone's help.

[/quote]

Are you saying you created a folder named "Internet Logins" in 1Password on your Mac, and this folder does not synchronize (does not appear) in 1Password for Windows? If that is the case, then we might have a bug here after all.[/quote]

In addition to Stefan's question, please note that items will always be in one of the vaults, regardless of which folder they appear in.

Here's how I like to explain it:

[list]

[*]Every item in 1Password is always listed in exactly one of the following locations:

[list]

[*]Logins vault

[*]Accounts vault

[*]Wallet vault

[*]Software vault

[*]Secure Notes vault

[*]Identities vault

[*]Generated Passwords category

[*]Trash

[/list]

[*]Every item (unless it's in the Trash) is listed in the built-in All folder,

which always lists all your 1Password items, regardless of type.

[*]Every item (unless it's in the Trash) can also be in a folder that you created;

if it isn't, it's automatically listed in the built-in Unassigned folder.

(The Unassigned folder doesn't appear in 1Password for Mac.)

[/list]
  • [quote name='Stefan von Dutch' timestamp='1308466144' post='29531']

Are you saying you created a folder named "Internet Logins" in 1Password on your Mac, and this folder does not synchronize (does not appear) in 1Password for Windows? If that is the case, then we might have a bug here after all.

[/quote]

No. The Internet Logins folder is in both versions. It's that the three logins that I thought were missing were located in the Logins [i]Vault[/i], not the folder. It was my oversight, and I apologize for not realizing this before I posted here.
  • [quote name='DBrown' timestamp='1308508732' post='29566']

In addition to Stefan's question, please note that items will always be in one of the vaults, regardless of which folder they appear in.

Here's how I like to explain it:

[list]

[*]Every item in 1Password is always listed in exactly one of the following locations:

[list]

[*]Logins vault

[*]Accounts vault

[*]Wallet vault

[*]Software vault

[*]Secure Notes vault

[*]Identities vault

[*]Generated Passwords category

[*]Trash

[/list]

[*]Every item (unless it's in the Trash) is listed in the built-in All folder,

which always lists all your 1Password items, regardless of type.

[*]Every item (unless it's in the Trash) can also be in a folder that you created;

if it isn't, it's automatically listed in the built-in Unassigned folder.

(The Unassigned folder doesn't appear in 1Password for Mac.)

[/list]

[/quote]

Got it! Great explanation and much appreciated!
  • Stefan von Dutch
    [quote name='billfrech' timestamp='1308614031' post='29694']

No. The Internet Logins folder is in both versions. It's that the three logins that I thought were missing were located in the Logins [i]Vault[/i], not the folder. It was my oversight, and I apologize for not realizing this before I posted here.

[/quote]

Still sounds like a bug to me. If you have logins in a certain folder on your Mac, and those logins should appear in that folder on Windows, too.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited June 2011
    [quote name='Stefan von Dutch' timestamp='1308667533' post='29756']

Still sounds like a bug to me. If you have logins in a certain folder on your Mac, and those logins should appear in that folder on Windows, too.

[/quote]

I didn't mean to imply otherwise—I just wanted to explain that an item being in a vault isn't an alternative to its being in a folder. That's why I started my explanation with "In addition to Stefan's question..."

The answer to that question will help Stefan determine whether there is a bug to be fixed.
  • clarkec321
    edited June 2011
    Hi

I have this problem & am not understanding how the user fixed their problem

My keychain is saved in my dropbox folder, no sub-folders

1Password for Windows and my Chrome extension are working fine, but the Dropbox version is updating itself & therefore my 1Password for Android hasn't added all my changes

Have checked and syncing is enabled on my dropbox folder, when I add another file to my dropbox folder it syncs straight the way, it's just the 1Password keychain which isn't updating

*edit*

Seemed to have figured it out

the files within the 1password folder were reporting as being a couple of days out of date & my android app didn't have the latest additions, but once I hit sync on the android, its pulled the latest version of keychain from my Dropbox and it seems to have worked. It's just off that my 'last modified' property in Dropbox was several days ago when I had updated passwords today. Odd

anyway, sorry to bother you, amazing product even if I do have Dropbox concerns (security concerns, not my stupidity concerns)
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Hi Clark,

Thanks for update, I’m glad that you were able to figure it out.

As for the security concerns, your 1Password data is always stored in an encrypted form, long before it is even copied to the Dropbox server. So, even if your Dropbox account has been compromised, your 1Password data is still protected with a strong encryption. It is not that easy to break into your data file, it would take either centuries of computation or somebody knowing your master password precisely.