This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Dropbox syncing overwriting desktop data

<div class="IPBDescription">Dropbox sync conflict</div>Hey! I'm a new user and I just migrated all my data from another application to 1Password and set up Dropbox sync to use with my iPhone app. As is suggested, once I had all my data in 1Pass I set about making secure passwords for all my accounts and changing the info for the entries I had imported into 1Pass. I had to do this manually since the Firefox 5 extension wasn't working (very annoying!), as in I would log into the account whose password I was trying to change with the account info stored on 1Pass and then I would change the account's password using the password generator and paste that new password into the password entry stored in 1Pass and saved it.

Everything was fine until I started up Dropbox, let all the new data be uploaded, and then fired up 1Pass on my iPhone and let it sync with Dropbox. When the sync was done I noticed that all the info I had just changed on the desktop app had been overwritten with the out-of-date data of the iPhone app! So here's my question, is there any way to get back all that overwritten data? Also, shouldn't there be an in-built conflict resolution feature in 1Pass already to let me choose which version of the data to keep?

Another, unrelated question, is if syncing through iTunes docs is ever going to be allowed?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• EIKA
    edited June 2011
    I am also seen how my iPad has uploaded all 1Pass files back to the Dropbox. I changed nothing in 1Pass for iPad, just installed and allowed Dropbox sync.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    [quote name='BlooBeats' timestamp='1308764860' post='29993']

Hey! I'm a new user and I just migrated all my data from another application to 1Password and set up Dropbox sync to use with my iPhone app. As is suggested, once I had all my data in 1Pass I set about making secure passwords for all my accounts and changing the info for the entries I had imported into 1Pass. I had to do this manually since the Firefox 5 extension wasn't working (very annoying!), as in I would log into the account whose password I was trying to change with the account info stored on 1Pass and then I would change the account's password using the password generator and paste that new password into the password entry stored in 1Pass and saved it.

Everything was fine until I started up Dropbox, let all the new data be uploaded, and then fired up 1Pass on my iPhone and let it sync with Dropbox. When the sync was done I noticed that all the info I had just changed on the desktop app had been overwritten with the out-of-date data of the iPhone app! So here's my question, is there any way to get back all that overwritten data? Also, shouldn't there be an in-built conflict resolution feature in 1Pass already to let me choose which version of the data to keep?

Another, unrelated question, is if syncing through iTunes docs is ever going to be allowed?

Thanks for your help!

[/quote]Hi Bloobeats,

Try to restore from one of recent backup files to get your recent data back. You can do this by opening the 1Password for Windows app and go to Backup > Restore 1Password Data from Backup. Make sure you pick the backup file that was performed before the sync with the iOS app, so that you don’t restore from the same data file.

That should return your data. Let me know if it helps.

A built-in conflict resolver wouldn’t help because Dropbox creates conflicts based on when the files on both ends are modified at the same time. Dropbox only places the most recent copy on the server, so it is likely that Dropbox considered your files on the iOS app to be more recent than the one on the Windows side. I’m not sure why but we’ll see if we can do something about this in a future update. Restoring the data file should change the data to the latest modified time and force Dropbox to sync it back to your iOS app instead of replacing your desktop data.

As for the Sync with the iTunes client, Apple does not allow any apps to sync any data through the USB cord. If you’re referring to the File Sharing feature within the iTunes client, that can’t be used as a sync method but it can by used as a static file, such as backup files or a one-way data transfer. We’ll see if we can use it for that in the future but I do not have a timeframe on this.

I hope this helps, please let me know.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited July 2011
    [quote name='MikeT' timestamp='1309411271' post='30728']

If you’re referring to the File Sharing feature within the iTunes client, that can’t be used as a sync method but it can by used as a static file, such as backup files or a one-way data transfer. [color=magenta]We’ll see if we can use it for that in the future[/color] but I do not have a timeframe on this.

[/quote]

BlooBeats, welcome to the forum!

I'd be surprised to see that development, because the 1Password apps for iOS already include the ability to back up and restore your 1Password data to and from a Mac or PC, via Wi-Fi.

The [b]Backup & Restore[/b] command in 1Password on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch opens a temporary "portal" through which you can use a web browser to copy the 1Password data from your iPhone to your Mac or PC; you also use the same [b]Backup & Restore[/b] command to restore that data from your Mac or PC to your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.

[b]To back up your 1Password data from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch:[/b]

[list=1]

[*]On your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, launch and unlock the 1Password app, and tap [b]More[/b] > [b]Settings[/b] > [b]Database[/b] > [b]Backup & Restore[/b].

You should see a page titled "Backup Service Started".

[*]On your Mac or PC, launch a web browser, and go to either of the URLs listed on the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch screen.

[*]Click the link to the [i].1ptbackup[/i] file, and follow the instructions to save the file.

Be sure to note the location where you save it.

[/list]

[b]To restore that backed up data to your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch:[/b]

[list=1]

[*]On your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, launch and unlock the 1Password app, and tap [b]More[/b] > [b]Settings[/b] > [b]Database[/b] > [b]Backup & Restore[/b].

You should see a page titled "Backup Service Started".

[*]On your Mac or PC, launch a web browser, and go to either of the URLs listed on the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch screen.

[*]Click the [b]Browse[/b] button, find the [i].1ptbackup[/i] file in the location where you saved it, and click the [b]Restore[/b] button.

[/list]

_______

Note that 1Password for Windows and for Mac store your 1Password data in a completely different format than is used by the 1Password apps for iOS, so a copy or transfer wouldn't make your 1Password data "shareable" between our iOS apps and desktop programs.
  • [quote name='EIKA' timestamp='1309007432' post='30327']

I am also seen how my iPad has uploaded all 1Pass files back to the Dropbox. I changed nothing in 1Pass for iPad, just installed and allowed Dropbox sync.

[/quote]

Has that caused any problem, EIKA?
  • EIKA
    edited July 2011
    [quote name='DBrown' timestamp='1309652963' post='30967']

Has that caused any problem, EIKA?

[/quote]

No. Just spent time on uploading 768 files from iPad back to Dropbox.

I hope that it's just time differencies problem.