This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Every now and then, Knox doesn't recognize "preferences" - I suppose

Gilles9
Gilles9 Senior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Hello,

sometimes Knox does seem to read preferences,

it loads in the dock instead of in the menu bar as selected in preferences I setted

and it does not recognize my license, neither does it see a vault I have set-up

If I log out and back in, it is OK

maybe it loads before seeing prefernces files (just thinking out loud as a novice)

Something to check for you guys, in addition of the un-necessary bouncing in the dock when it opens nd sets in the menu bar

maybe these two issues are related, who knows

Bye

Comments

• taoman
    taoman Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

I agree with that opinion, happy not to be alone !!!

using dock is working, but not menu bar

also not opening vault after restart

but I hope 1passwd team will resolve these problems soon
  • jsamuelson
    jsamuelson Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Happens here too, occasionally. I have my prefs set to menubar only.

After a restart sometimes Knox runs in the dock. Shutting down the Dock version (which is the one with no vaults and appears unregistered) immediately allows the menubar version (which then works perfectly) to run.

Seems like there might be two instances of Knox running at some point during a restart.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jsamuelson']Happens here too, occasionally. I have my prefs set to menubar only.

After a restart sometimes Knox runs in the dock. Shutting down the Dock version (which is the one with no vaults and appears unregistered) immediately allows the menubar version (which then works perfectly) to run.

Seems like there might be two instances of Knox running at some point during a restart.[/QUOTE]

I have definitely seen some cases of an older and newer copy of Knox running on the same computer. Please check your OS X account's list of Login Items using Apple > System Preferences > Accounts pane. There should be one and only one reference to Knox if you're starting it by the "expected" means (I've seen some people start applications at login via AppleScript and other methods).
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello,

only one Knox is login item in my account !

It is only a few bounces, as if it loads like a regular program, prior to getting in the menu bar
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    Can you open terminal and type "ps -ax | grep -i knox" and show us the results? What it does is list all the Knox processes running on your Mac. I want to see if you have more than one running.

Also do this for both time. Look at the path to Knox.app.

Anything weird in Console.app?
  • jsamuelson
    jsamuelson Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Terminal gives:

[QUOTE]224 ?? 0:01.67 /Applications/Knox.app/Contents/Knox/Knox.app/Contents/MacOS/Knox

1107 ttys000 0:00.00 grep -i knox

[/QUOTE]

If it happens again on startup I will do this again to see if two instances are trying to start. Only one Knox in login items here.
  • macpug
    macpug Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for posting this. Mikhail, thanks for your help as well. I had a similar issue when I first installed. I trashed it, reinstalled, and started from scratch, and everything is fine now. Maybe it was corrupted, I don't know. But I was pulling my hair out for a week or so, then after reinstalling, no issues at all. Would be interesting to see the readout if it happes again jsamuelson.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Gilles9']It is only a few bounces, as if it loads like a regular program, prior to getting in the menu bar[/QUOTE]

We're aware of this issue and we're looking into why it was done this way before we up and change it. It is distracting but as long as the menu item does show up then that's what is most important.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Gilles9']It is only a few bounces, as if it loads like a regular program, prior to getting in the menu bar[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if we can prevent Knox from bouncing in the Dock in this case or not. Just to be clear, I always keep Knox in the menubar but I see Knox bounce on the Dock before it disappears and goes to the menu bar.

One thing that has tripped some users is Knox launches in the menu and they don't see it there. We added an informational window in 2.0.2 to try to make this more clear.

As for why your preference is not being remembered, I am not sure. You mentioned that logging out and back in fixed the issue. Does this mean if you quit Knox right now and restart it, it goes to the menu bar as you want?
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare']I'm not sure if we can prevent Knox from bouncing in the Dock in this case or not. Just to be clear, I always keep Knox in the menubar but I see Knox bounce on the Dock before it disappears and goes to the menu bar.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I don't know how to fix it, but I know SpamSieve has a small twick in preferences to prevent the icon to show in the doc; it won't even show at start up.

But it may be harder than this for Knox; I am not expert, just a user

Thanks for looking into it
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Gilles9']Exactly, I don't know how to fix it, but I know SpamSieve has a small twick in preferences to prevent the icon to show in the doc; it won't even show at start up.

But it may be harder than this for Knox; I am not expert, just a user

Thanks for looking into it[/QUOTE]

We appreciate the update! I too have some other applications that never show their face in the Dock so we've got some case studies to work from. We'll see what we can do there to keep it a little cleaner looking if we can.
  • taoman
    taoman Member
    edited December 1969
    Great job,

since 2.0.2, it works correctly --> goes to menubar like Dave explains

Best regards
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='taoman']Great job,

since 2.0.2, it works correctly --> goes to menubar like Dave explains[/QUOTE]

Thanks! But I don't think I fixed the root issue that Gilles was reporting as it will still bounce once or twice before going there.

Marko was kind enough to contact me to say he had this issue before and a potential fix for it so hopefully we can remove the superfluous bounces soon.
  • taoman
    taoman Member
    edited December 1969
    Dave,

you are right, sometimes it works correctly, sometimes it stays on the dock bar, you have to click on "quit" and knox goes to the menubar

regards
  • taoman
    taoman Member
    edited December 1969
    Dave,

suppress my precedent comment, I didn't downloaded the last version 2.0.3

I will test again and tell you

Best regards
  • taoman
    taoman Member
    edited December 1969
    Very good !

the process is completly different, starts directly in the menu bar, no more Knox tilte, just flush in blue a short time and works

Best reagrds
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='taoman']Very good !

the process is completly different, starts directly in the menu bar, no more Knox tilte, just flush in blue a short time and works

Best reagrds[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting us know you like the new "in menu bar" behavior.