This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password Cancels Logout

robbyberman
edited June 2011 in Mac
1Password keeps canceling logout when I try to shut down or restart since the 3.60 update. Ideas, anyone?

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited June 2011
    Welcome to the forums, robbyberman! Thanks for asking about this.

I am not able to reproduce this myself. Please let me know if you are able to consistently reproduce the problem, and, if so, what steps are you taking to do so? Try this:

[list=1]

[*]Shut down your Mac.

[*]Turn your Mac on.

[*]Log in to OS X.

[*]Launch only 1Password.

[*]Attempt to Logout.

[/list]

Does the issue present itself in that scenario with [i]only[/i] 1Password running?

Please also let me know which version of Mac OS X you are using.

Thanks!
  • Well, that was fun. I have a lot of login items.

Anyway, I disabled/removed half of my login items, and 1Password still canceled shutdown.

Then I turned them back on and disabled the other half, and the result was the same.

I figured this method would help isolate a conflict.

There's another oddity that may be a clue.

When shutdown is canceled, the 1Password menu is visible, though the app's hidden as usual. If I try to quit from this menu, nothing happens. The same is true if I command-tab and try to quit 1Password. The only way I can quit it is to make the app visible, and then quit.

Finally, I noticed the enclosed message in the console. Maybe it can provide a clue.

BTW, I'm adding 1Password to my login items by dragging it into the Login Items list. Is there a pref for starting at login I've missed?
  • khad
    [quote]BTW, I'm adding 1Password to my login items by dragging it into the Login Items list. Is there a pref for starting at login I've missed? [/quote]

No. There is no preference for this since 1PasswordAgent automatically runs in the background even when 1Password.app is not loaded. 1Password.app does not need to be running to use 1Password in your web browser(s). My guess is that it is related to unnecessarily loading 1Password.app on login with the box checked to "Hide" 1Password. Please make sure 1Password.app is not listed in your "Login Items".

You didn't mention what version of Mac OS X you are running, but to get an even better look at things, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

[color="#FF0000"]Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.[/color]

Thanks!
  • masp314
    edited July 2011
    Hi,

I have the same problem; since updating 1P to 3.6.0 (build 31043) it is preventing logout or shutting down my mac. In order to logout or shutdown I need to select 1P in my dock and open the Vault. After that I can choose Quit 1Password en logout. I have the latest version of 1P and Snow Leopard.

Best regards,

Maarten
  • robbyberman
    edited July 2011
    After researching this with the 1Password team, we think we've pinpointed the problem: I had added 1Password as a login item, which, it turns out, is totally unnecessary—its background app runs just fine without launching 1Password, allowing you to get your passwords into your browsers. When I removed 1Password from my login items, the problem stopped with no change in 1Password functionality.

If you've got it as a login item, I suggest you give removing it a shot.

1Password support suspects Snow Leopard 10.6.8 changed something to do with login items, causing this issue to occur with 3.6.0.

Hope this helps,

Robby

[quote name='masp314' timestamp='1309274669' post='30595']

Hi,

I have the same problem; since updating 1P to 6.3.0 (build 31043) it is preventing logout or shutting down my mac. In order to logout or shutdown I need to select 1P in my dock and open the Vault. After that I can choose Quit 1Password en logout. I have the latest version of 1P and Snow Leopard.

Best regards,

Maarten

[/quote]
  • Thanks for the feedback. Problem solved by - as requested - removing the 1P item from the login-list in system preferences>accounts.

[quote name='robbyberman' timestamp='1309275981' post='30601']

After researching this with the 1Password team, we think we've pinpointed the problem: I had added 1Password as a login item, which, it turns out, is totally unnecessary—its background app runs just fine without launching 1Password, allowing you to get your passwords into your browsers. When I removed 1Password from my login items, the problem stopped with no change in 1Password functionality.

If you've got it as a login item, I suggest you give removing it a shot.

1Password support suspects Snow Leopard 10.6.8 changed something to do with login items, causing this issue to occur with 6.3.0.

Hope this helps,

Robby

[/quote]
  • khad
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the updates, folks. It is a strange issue that we will continue to keep an eye on. While having 1Password.app in your "Login Items" list is essentially unnecessary, it shouldn't cause problems either. I'm glad that removing 1Password.app (and just relying on the 1PasswordAgent background process) is working well for you, though!

If you don't mind, just for kicks (since we can't seem to reproduce the problem here in our labs), could either of you tell me if the same issue is present on your machine when you have the latest update (1Password [b]3.6.1[/b]) installed. If you add 1Password 3.6.1 to yout Login Items does the issue come back?

Cheers,
  • gellstone
    gellstone Junior Member
    I'm running 1P Version 3.6.1 (build 31057), Mac OS X v.10.6.8 and Chrome 12.0.742.112. For the last several builds, whenever I shutdown the Mac I have to Force Quit 1P first. Is there a way I can avoid this this little nuisance?

Thanks
  • khad
    Sorry about the trouble here, gellstone. If you have 1Password.app in your list of Login Items and set to "Hide", please try unchecking the "Hide" box. If that does not do the trick, try removing 1Password from your list of "Login Items". If you do not have 1Password in your list of "Login Items" (System Preferences > Accounts), please let me know. We thought we resolved an issue with the release of 1Password 3.6.1, but we may need to take a closer look.
  • Mar
    Mar Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Hello,

I am having trouble getting my new iMac to sleep. I have been with Apple Care on the phone a couple of times without success. We have tried many things just short of reinstalling the system from scratch.

About half the time the iMac will not go to sleep and I am beginning to suspect 1PasswordAgent as a possible cause.

It is the only non-Apple software running and I have only the Finder active myself; the iMac will now also wake from sleep immediately after sleep starts

I run the latest 1Password with the latest Snow Leopard; I do not have the 1Password app in my login items, there's nothing there anymore...

So, maybe there is a link between the issue described in this thread and mine?

Hope to find an answer soon, this is bad for getting sleep myself (:

Regards, Marius

PS I have not uninstalled 1Password yet, since I am quite dependent on it. Could a Force Quit Process be a useful temporary test measure?
  • khad
    Hey Marius,

I'm sorry that you are having this problem. Are you running 1Password 3.6.1? The issue in this thread should be resolved in the latest version. It sounds like you are experiencing something else. To test if it is related to 1Password, can you please quit 1Password and then move this folder to the trash?

[code]HOME > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Agent[/code]

Restart your Mac but do not run 1Password. See if your computer will sleep.

Once you run 1Password, 1PasswordAgent will be copied back to that location and launched, so be sure you [b]do not run 1Password[/b] until you are done testing.

Once you have your results, try running 1Password again and see if the results change.

Thanks for testing this!
  • Mar
    Mar Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Hello Khad,

I followed your suggestion.

After some time it became clear that 1Password very probably is not involved in the non-sleep issue.

I'm still in the dark about the cause, but this much is clear.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards, Marius
  • khad
    Thanks for the update. I am glad that 1Password is not the culprit, but I hope you get it resolved.

Best of luck!