This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Wrong Search Results

pujoe1
pujoe1 Junior Member
I'm getting the same two results for every search that I make on both my iPad and my iPhone versions of 1Password. That is, no matter what I search for, I get these same two results plus the actual search results. For example, say I search for "Sears." The search results returns "Barnes and Noble" and "Ironkey" in addition to "Sears.com." No matter what terms I search for, I get the same two results plus any other hits that I'll call the "real search results."

I also have 1Password on my Mac, and this DOES NOT occur on searches there. It only happens on my iPad and iPhone.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    This is certainly very odd, pujoe1, and it should not be happening. I have not heard of this happening before. Could you please take a screenshot so we can see the problem? You can take a screenshot by pressing the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously. This will take a picture of your screen and save it to your Camera Roll. You can attach it to an email to support@agilebits.com or a reply to this thread. If you email it, please include a link to this thread so we can "connect the dots" when we see it in our inbox.

Please try restarting your device by holding down both the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling 1Password. Note that following this procedure will erase any data stored in the 1Password app on your iOS device, so you'll have to set up your master password and Dropbox syncing again. If you do not sync with Dropbox, you will want to make sure to backup your data before performing this procedure:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

Once you have your data backed up (either synced with Dropbox or a special backup as outlined above) you can remove 1Password by pressing and holding on the 1Password icon until all the icons start to jiggle. Then you can click the X in the top left corner to uninstall 1Password. Once 1Password disappears, you can press the home button to stop the icons from jiggling. You can then either re-sync the 1Password app over from your computer, or download a fresh copy from the App Store (note: even though the button still says "Buy," you won't actually be charged a 2nd time).

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • pujoe1
    pujoe1 Junior Member
    I have learned more about my problem, and it isn't good. First, I verified this behavior is not present with 1Password on my Mac. I also did hard resets of both my iPhone and iPad. No change. The new information I accidentally stumbled on when I created the iPad screenshot to mail to you. The newly discovered behavior is thta every new login I add from my iPad will show up in the search results on both my iPad and my iPhone. This does not happen if I create a new login on my iPhone. I use Dropbox synch.

Thus, the problem seems isolated to my iPad version of 1Password. I'm going to delete and the reinstall the app. I'll report my results.
  • Hey pujoe1,

Thank you for updating the thread with the additional information. We look forward to hearing your results!

Cheers!

Brandt
  • pujoe1
    pujoe1 Junior Member
    [b]My problem is fixed thanks to great advice from Mike Tselikman of Agilebits[/b]. The key step was rebuilding the database on the Mac and then syncing to my iOS devices, especially the iPad. I've copied the last email to close the loop on this topic. Great product. Great customer service. Here's the final chapter:

--- Email reply to Agilebits on July 6:

I thought for a moment that I'd fixed the problem, but I was wrong.

I deleted the iPad app and then reinstalled it. When on initial launch it asked for new database or wifi sync to Mac, I chose the wifi sync with the Mac. I then setup dropbox syncing and it resynched again.

I tried the searches that had produced the problem earlier and all was okay. If I searched for sears, all I got was sears.com. The Barnes and Noble and the Ironkey entries that had been showing up in every search result were no longer present. Great! But not so fast. I created a new login on the iPad since that had been the problem before. No sooner than I did that than the Barnes and Noble and Ironkey entries popped up in the current search results. I tried other searches and there they were. The problem I thought was gone was still there.

Then I read you email. I rebuilt the database as it said and waited for Dropbox to sync. It took a lot longer than I expected to fully sync. Then I followed your steps below.

And that cleared it all up. I tried creating a login on my iPad. It still searched correctly. All is well Thanks for the help. This was really a strange one. Sorry for leaving the good news for last, but I was adding to the email as I went along.

Bob

On Jul 6, 2011, at 6:23 PM, AgileBits Support wrote:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I know there have been a few updates in the thread. Can you try something for me, please open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File. Wait until after the rebuild is done and Dropbox complete its sync. You can tell by seeing a green checkmark on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

After that, open 1Password on the iPad and go to Settings > Sync > Dropbox Sync. Wait for it to finish re-downloading your data file. After that, restart 1Password completely. The way to restart an application on iOS 4 is:

1) Press the Home button twice, it'll bring up the app switcher

2) Find 1Password, tap and hold it for a few seconds till you see the red "-" mark shows up

3) Tap the "-" mark to close the app

4) Press the home button to get rid to the app switcher, you can now open 1Password

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Mike Tselikman

Agile Samurai

AgileBits, Inc.

http://agilebits.com

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011, pujoe1 wrote:

As requested in your response to my post yesterday:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm getting the same two results for every search that I make on both my iPad and my iPhone versions of 1Password. That is, no matter what I search for, I get these same two results plus the actual search results. For example, say I search for "Sears." The search results returns "Barnes and Noble" and "Ironkey" in addition to "Sears.com." No matter what terms I search for, I get the same two results plus any other hits that I'll call the "real search results."

I also have 1Password on my Mac, and this DOES NOT occur on searches there. It only happens on my iPad and iPhone.

Here's an annotated screenshot from my iPad. My iPhone is identical. This does not occur on my Mac. All share the same Dropbox files.

Bob

Sent from my iPad
  • [quote name='pujoe1' timestamp='1310052596' post='31369']

[b]My problem is fixed thanks to great advice from Mike Tselikman of Agilebits[/b]. The key step was rebuilding the database on the Mac and then syncing to my iOS devices, especially the iPad. I've copied the last email to close the loop on this topic. Great product. Great customer service. Here's the final chapter:

[/quote]

Bob,

On behalf of Mike and the rest of the AgileBits team, I'd like to thank you for your kind words!

I appreciate you updating the thread with the steps required for resolution of your issue, and I am confident that other members will benefit from your experience.

Cheers!

Brandt