This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password not autolocking

lhagan
lhagan Junior Member
Having the opposite problem; the Safari Extension only asks for my password once, then never again until I quit and re-start Safari. 1Password is set to lock after 2 minutes of inactivity.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Just to make sure we are on the same page, 1Password only locks after X minutes of [i]computer[/i] inactivity. If you are using the keyboard and/or mouse in those two minutes, your computer is not inactive.

Which version of Safari are you using with which version of Mac OS X?

Thanks for letting me know.
  • lhagan
    lhagan Junior Member
    Understood -- I can put the computer to sleep for hours, and when I come back I still don't have to enter my master password to access 1P in Safari. The 1Password app locks as expected, but it leaves the Safari extension wide open.

Safari 5.1 (6534.42)

Mac OS 10.6.8

1Password 3.6.1 (build 31057)
  • khad
    Hm. I just tested this myself in Lion with Safari 5.1. I'll try to get someone else to test this in Snow Leopard, but I am not able to reproduce the issue in Lion. I set my auto lock timeout to 1 minute and then watched as 1Password locked its vault door after 1 minute. Attempting to use the Safari 5.1 extension resulted in a prompt for my master password.

I'll post back if we can reproduce this here in the labs. Please let me know if you have any other data to add in the mean time.
  • lhagan
    lhagan Junior Member
    [quote name='khad' timestamp='1310351739' post='31725']

Hm. I just tested this myself in Lion with Safari 5.1. I'll try to get someone else to test this in Snow Leopard, but I am not able to reproduce the issue in Lion. I set my auto lock timeout to 1 minute and then watched as 1Password locked its vault door after 1 minute. Attempting to use the Safari 5.1 extension resulted in a prompt for my master password.

I'll post back if we can reproduce this here in the labs. Please let me know if you have any other data to add in the mean time.

[/quote]

Just did a couple of experiments, here are the results:

[list=1]

[*]1Password and the extension both lock after 1 minute if left open, as it did on your machine.

[*]If I exit 1Password and leave the extension window open in Safari, the extension locks itself in one minute.

[*]If I close both 1Password and the extension window, but leave Safari open, the extension never locks (unless I leave it open for at least a minute).

[/list]

It would seem that the extension is only counting down when the window is visible.
  • khad
    The only way I am able to keep 1Password from locking in Safari 5.1 is to leave the browser extension open. I think it should lock after the timeout regardless of whether or not you are looking at it just like the main application. I'll pass this along to the developers.

I'm not sure that my experience matches your own, though, which still puzzles me. Perhaps others seeing the same issue can weigh in.
  • GerS
    GerS Junior Member
    Hi,

today, I experienced a strange and unpleasant behaviour of the new 1Password extension (at this moment 3.6.5, Beta 30, Safari 5.1, 10.6.8.).

When I activate the screen saver, and the application and the extension are 'open', I can hear the application close itself (I have "Lock when screen saver is actived' checked in the preferences). The extension on the other hand remains active, I don't have to unlock it befor using it.

Worse, when I put my MBP to sleep, and wake it up, I can use the extension without having to type my master password again (I have "Lock when sleeping" checked in the preferences).

This seems to me a serious security flaw. The only way to close the extension is to close Safari and launch it again (or to restart my computer).

Behaviour in Firefox 5.0 is as usual.

Thanks for looking at this problem.

Ger

P.S. sorry if this topic has been discussed before, I didn't find other threads mentionning it.
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor Member
    Yep...I'm seeing this too.

In fact, the Extension does not seem to respect ANY of the 1P Locking/Unlocking preferences set in the 1P.APP

Can you guys (Agile) please confirm this as I've checked the Extension FAQ and there is no mention that this is currently the situation.

Basically, what I"m experiencing is that the Extension stays unlocked until the browser is quit...period.

If you never quit Safari...well...then your 1P stays unlocked...forever.
  • Same here, the 1Password Safari extension never locks. This is a huge security hole.

Mac OS 10.6.8

Safari 5.1 (6534.50)

1Password 3.6.5 (31075)

Safari Extension 3.6.5BETA-30

Once I unlock the Safari Extension it never locks. I have 1Password set to lock after 20 minutes and when sleeping and when the screen saver is activated. This works.

But, once I unlock the Safari Extension, it never locks itself. It seems to me that the extension should have the same auto-locking behavior as the 1Password application. I shouldn't have to remember to lock it manually.
  • diydad
    diydad Junior Member
    Same here.

OSX 10.7

Safari Version 5.1 (7534.48.3)

1Password Version 3.6.5 (build 31075)

Unless I remember to lock the extension then my security is wide open.

Please address this asap.
  • Sorry, but I have the same problem and I don't understand how you solved it

I have Mac OS X Lion and 1password 3.6.5 (build 31075)

When I use 1password safari extension, after 1 minutes (time set to autolock in 1password app preference), the 1password safari extension is still unlocked

How can I set the autolock of the 1password safari extension?

thanks
  • robson
    edited July 2011
    I'm also having the problem that the extension doesn't lock. It's not a big problem on the desktop in my home office, but on the laptop it leaves all of my logins open to anyone, anywhere. Alarming is a mild word. Essentially, I'm not only leaving my virtual password book open on my desk, I'm leaving all the logins filled in for any passerby to use. Please help with this problem soon, or i'll need to write down all my (now more secure AND obscure) passwords, start up my manual password book again, and disable 1Password before my next trip.

We're talking about "doesn't lock even when left inactive overnight." I am not leaving the extension open. The same is happening on BOTH computers, both with the same software configurations and settings.

Both computers run Snow Leopard (10.6.8 - have to put in this extra or it turns the point 8 into an emoticon, and I don't have time to figure out how to turn that off), Safari 5.1, and 1Password 3.6.5. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled the 1Password new Safari extension several times (as recently as yesterday), hoping that the locking would start happening.

In my preferences, I have it set to lock at ALL the following times:

- lock after xx minutes of inactivity (20 on the desktop, 5 on the laptop)

- lock when sleeping

- lock when screen saver is activated

I ALSO have it set to:

- disable automatic unlock

- disable automatic unlock for all applications

It should NEVER autounlock, and I should have to use my master password a lot.

The 1Password program itself *does* lock. But that doesn't protect much if the extension is wide open all the time.
  • stevieg3
    stevieg3 Junior Member
    same here - HELP

OSX 10.7

Safari Version 5.1

• dpg50000
    edited July 2011
    Same problem here, using OS X Lion 10.7, build 11A511, Safari version 5.1 (7534.48.3) and 1Password version 3.6.5 (build 31075).

The application locks just fine, but the Safari extension never locks whilst you have Safari open (even when the computer is left untouched overnight)
  • Astounding that AgileBits hasn't responded to this, either here or to the email I sent to customer support a couple of days ago.

This is a serious problem.
  • [quote name='Buadhai' timestamp='1311716262' post='34259']

Astounding that AgileBits hasn't responded to this, either here or to the email I sent to customer support a couple of days ago.

This is a serious problem.

[/quote]

Hello Buadhai,

I merged this topic with a similar thread.

I tested the 1P locking issue using OS X 10.7, Safari 5.1, 1Password 3 for Mac 3.6.5 and 1P's Safari extension 3.6.5.BETA 3.6.5-30. I attached a screen shot of my Auto-Lock preferences so that others may test with similar settings.

Results:

My 1Password application and my Safari 5.1 extension both locked when I placed my computer in sleep mode and immediately logged back in.

I noted that several of the previous posts were on systems running 10.6.8, but there were other posts for users running Lion.

For anyone who reported this non-locking behavior, but did not report the specific system setup, please do so. Obviously, this does not include everyone in thread.

I look forward to hearing your replies.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • VirgilBoy
    edited July 2011
    I am on 10.7 with Safari 5.1, using 1PW extension 365beta28 and 1PW app 3.65. The 1 PW extension is NOT locking itself at sleep time. I did email this report a couple days ago and only got the FAQ reply.

My preferences are set exactly as in the screen cap .

***As of this morning I now have beta 30 BUT the problem still exists
  • lhagan
    lhagan Junior Member
    When I started this thread, I was having the problem on Snow Leopard. Still have the same issue on that system, plus I'm having the same problem on my new Lion system as well. 10.7.0, 1Password Version 3.6.5 (build 31075), extension 3.6.5beta-30.

Since Agile hasn't really responded yet, I'd recommend setting your computer to auto lock so your passwords are relatively protected:

System Preferences > Security > General: Require Password Immediately after sleep

System Preferences > Energy Saver> Display Sleep: X minutes
  • I have noticed the same problem here (Lion; 1 password Version 3.6.5 (build 31075); Extension 3.6.5.BETA-30).

In security prefpane I have checked:

-Lock after 5 min

-lock when sleeping

-lock when screensaver activated

-disable automatic unlock.

After putting my macbook to sleep for 2 hours and reopening I don't have to enter a password to use the extension.......very worrisome.

Hope agile is able to reproduce this and fix it, because I will disable the extension for now, this is just to dangerous.

Thanks
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor Member
    edited July 2011
    [quote name='erik.hopmans' timestamp='1311740132' post='34292']

I have noticed the same problem here (Lion; 1 password Version 3.6.5 (build 31075); Extension 3.6.5.BETA-30).

In security prefpane I have checked:

-Lock after 5 min

-lock when sleeping

-lock when screensaver activated

-disable automatic unlock.

After putting my macbook to sleep for 2 hours and reopening I don't have to enter a password to use the extension.......very worrisome.

Hope agile is able to reproduce this and fix it, because I will disable the extension for now, this is just to dangerous.

Thanks

[/quote]

I have the exact setup as above...with the exact same results.. ;-(

OS is 10.6.8

Here's some additional info:

With 1P.app and Safari both running and unlocked, if I activate my Mac's screen saver, I hear the satisfying "Clink" that indicates 1P is locking itself. Upon waking the Mac up, 1P.app shows itself to be locked but when clicking the 1P button in Safari, it happily displays all my PWs without asking me to unlock. This is quite bad.

FWIW, I'd suggest putting this as issue #1 to resolve. Those of us posting here are pretty geeked out and chances are high we'll forget to manually lock the extension. But for the most part, I'm guessing users won't even know they are exposed until some nefarious person strolls up to their unattended sleeping Mac and swipes their PWs.

Hope we can get a fix for this very soon.
  • rodeman
    edited July 2011
    I'm using Safari Version 5.1 (7534.48.3)

With OS X 10.7 Build 11A511

1Password Version 3.6.1 (build 31057)

Auto lock is set to 20 minutes and it never auto locks. I'm in the same boat as the other guys it seems. This never happened prior to my moving to Lion and the new Safari Extension for 1 Password. I'm also unable to see the "safari extension" as installed even though it asked me if I wanted it installed and I said yes. Under the browsers tab, in the advanced section, I see firefox is installed and I have the button below for safari and for chrome that say install extensions. I've installed for both but they never show up here. I have no idea if they are working correctly or not.

Finally, when I create a new login and password for a new site, like the Agile Forums where I registered tonight, it asks me if I want to save the login and password and I can change the name but I can not add any tags to to the item that's being saved. I can go back into 1Password, the application, and save tags, but I can't do it from the menu bar extension that shows up when you are creating something new.

Thanks,

John
  • I have the same problem as everyone else. I have the latest Safari, 1password, plugin ... Very bad. As long as I don't forget to lock and my computer doesn't get stolen I'm ok ...
  • Mine's not autolocking either.

Safari Version 5.1 (6534.50)

OSX Version 10.6.8

If I log on on my wife's site, 1Password works on my site too without inputing my password.

This ain't good!

Bob
  • [quote name='ras' timestamp='1311799319' post='34403']

Mine's not autolocking either.

Safari Version 5.1 (6534.50)

OSX Version 10.6.8

If I log on on my wife's site, 1Password works on my site too without inputing my password.

This ain't good!

Bob

[/quote]

I just had to quit Safari to kill 1Password, but when I logged onto my wife's site, 1Password was STILL active, and did not require a password input. I'm going to have to shut down the computer in order to lock 1Password. Fix it!

Bob
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2011
    1Password 3.7.0.BETA-2 was just released. The autolocking issue was addressed.

Please update to this version and reply back with your results. In order to download BETA versions, please check the appropriate box in 1Password's Preferences as indicated in the attached screen shot

Cheers!

Brandt
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor Member
    edited July 2011
    Just tested it...and Autolock seems to respect the settings made in 1P.app under 10.6.8.

Much thanks!! That was a pretty big hole y'all just plugged
  • Hey rwross,

Thanks for confirming the fix!

I'll pass along your thanks to the developers...the people who truly deserve it!

Cheers!

Brandt
  • My program is back to working correctly after the beta rollout as well. Thanks for being so quick with that update.

John
  • GerS
    GerS Junior Member
    For me (I started a thread on this subject on the 1Password Browser Extensions Forum), the problem has been solved too by this update.

Keep up the good work.

Ger
  • [quote name='ras' timestamp='1311800571' post='34408']

I just had to quit Safari to kill 1Password, but when I logged onto my wife's site, 1Password was STILL active, and did not require a password input. I'm going to have to shut down the computer in order to lock 1Password. Fix it!

Bob

[/quote]

Installed beta, after 2 hours on inactivity, 1Password hasn't locked.

Version 3.7.0.BETA-2 (build 31079)

Bob
  • The update seems to have fixed the locking after sleep!
This discussion has been closed.