This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password so slow it's unusable

mike_b
mike_b Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
I'm having a problem on my Mac with the 1Password application itself. I don't live by the ocean, but it plays beachball anytime I try to access it. For example, just to focus the application causes a 30+ second pause. Thinking this was a bug, I upgraded to the latest 3.2.1, I was on 3.1.2. That didn't seem to work.

The Firefox extension works just fine. It isn't slow in any regard. Only when I need to open the application itself to lookup or do something manually. This is particularly annoying when I access a site that uses a login from a different URL. Since 1Password can't cross-reference logins with multiple sites, I have to manually copy this. This turns into a 15 minute ordeal to open the app, scroll down, click the account and then click and copy a password or username.

Any clue what is going on? I've tried closing all other programs except Firefox, but that has no affect either.

I'm running 10.6.3 on a MBP from 2008.

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Sorry to hear this, mike. There are a few things you can do to improve 1Password's performance:

1. Clear the cache: Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache

2. Check out Preferences > Advanced, there are some performance-improving options there

3. Rebuild the data file: Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File
  • [quote name='Nik' timestamp='1276146439' post='3958']

There are a few things you can do to improve 1Password's performance:

1. Clear the cache: Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache

2. Check out Preferences > Advanced, there are some performance-improving options there

3. Rebuild the data file: Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File

[/quote]

Wow, even though this post was from over a year ago, it's still VERY relevant!

I've been having the issue with 1Password "beachballing" for SO long, and can't believe I never checked on it here!

(I'm usually so good at troubleshooting, too.)

I thought the slowness was caused by the large # of items in my 1password database and/or my low RAM, which causes other problems.

(Original MacBook, core duo, limited to 2 gb RAM. Latest 1P version 3.6.5)

However, these suggestions from Nik have completely fixed the problem.

Note to other users... don't be afraid to try this. It works magic, if you're having a slowdown issue.

THANKS!
  • Hello Regent12 and welcome to the Forums!

On behalf of Nik, you are very welcome!

I'm glad you finally experienced the potential benefits of visiting us here for answers to your questions. Better late than never!

Thank you for the kind words! We always love hearing from happy members!

Don't be a stranger!

Cheers!

Brandt