This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion Autofill login (NOT "Go and Fill..)

gosmond
gosmond Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
I'd like the option to have "autofill logins" be the *default behavior* for 1Password when I'm browsing. (I.e. a menu option "autofill logins" right next to the current "autosubmit logins" option.)

That way, as soon as I go to a site for which I have a stored password, 1Password makes a best-guess at the login / password, autofills it, but DOES NOT submit it.

That way I have a chance to look over the login before submitting, potentially avoiding a situation where 1password ends up having me send the wrong user/pass to the wrong site -- a security problem.

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    You can accomplish this by using 1Password's Go & Fill function and disabling its autosubmit function. 1Password's autosubmit feature can be disabled globally, on a per-site basis, or on the fly:

Globally:

- Run 1Password and click 1Password > Preferences > Logins

- Disable the autosubmit option

Per-site basis:

- Run 1Password and find the site in question

- Click the Edit button

- Change its Submit setting to Never and save your changes

On the fly:

- Hold down the option key while selecting a login from the 1Password menu. You'll see the word "Fill" appear next to its name, indicating that it will fill the web form but not submit it.
  • gosmond
    gosmond Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hmm. Either I'm not understanding something, or you're not understanding my request.

Here's how I'd like 1Password to work:

- I go to a website -- from a link, a bookmark, or whatever "normal" method I would use (which does NOT involve clicking any menu buttons, using keyboard shortcuts, etc. that apply to 1Password.

- 1Password HAS my login info for that site. I want 1Password to silently A) recognize that I've gone to the login page of a site it knows about and B) autofill the user / login info, but NOT submit it.

My goal here is to have 1password transparently "help me out" in logging in, without having to be prompted to autofill a particular site. If I go to [url]www.abcdef.com[/url] and 1password has a login for that site, I want it to proactively just stuff the login /password into the appropriate fields, and then let me decide if I want to click "login" or not.

Currently, this doesn't work for me. I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 on OS X 10.6.3, with several browser extension: NoScript, AdBlock Plus, CookieMonster, Embedded Objects, and NoSquint. Are there any known incompatibilities between 1password's plugin and those, or others?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='gosmond']My goal here is to have 1password transparently "help me out" in logging in, without having to be prompted to autofill a particular site. If I go to [url]www.abcdef.com[/url] and 1password has a login for that site, I want it to proactively just stuff the login /password into the appropriate fields, and then let me decide if I want to click "login" or not.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, 1Password doesn't work this way. 1Password doesn't automatically fill your Logins. You have to invoke the function by selecting the login you wish to use via 1Password's toolbar icon or its contextual menu, or by typing cmd-\ on your keyboard. This not only makes it possible to maintain multiple logins for the same web site, but also adds an extra layer of security, since your information will never be filled without your consent.

Thus, while 1Password's autosubmit settings can help you with the second part of what you want (logging in automatically or not), the Go & Fill Login function is your best bet for easily visiting a site and logging in.
  • pau.cc
    pau.cc Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Sorry for the OT.

[quote name='justG']or by typing cmd-\ on your keyboard.[/QUOTE]

I would like to know if there's a way to personalize the keyboard shortcut. This shortcut doesn't work for spanish keyboard ...

Thanks!
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Hi pau.cc

Open the 1p preferences > logins > there is a place to set your keyboard shortcuts for "fill login" and for "go and fill"

Hope that helps you out, if its not what your looking for them just post back.
  • vzcanuck
    edited September 2010
    [quote name='justG' timestamp='1276272641' post='4173']

I'm sorry, 1Password doesn't work this way. 1Password doesn't automatically fill your Logins. You have to invoke the function by selecting the login you wish to use via 1Password's toolbar icon or its contextual menu, or by typing cmd- on your keyboard. This not only makes it possible to maintain multiple logins for the same web site, but also adds an extra layer of security, since your information will never be filled without your consent.

Thus, while 1Password's autosubmit settings can help you with the second part of what you want (logging in automatically or not), the Go & Fill Login function is your best bet for easily visiting a site and logging in.

[/quote]

Is it possible to just click on the 1Password icon and have my login information automatically filled out? I don't understand why I have to click on the icon then select "Fill and Submit". I want 1 Password to fill and submit when I click on the icon.

Thanks for your help.