This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Extension support and leaving 1password

jjm
jjm
edited July 2011 in Mac
I just posted this (edited a little) to support and asked for a refund. But I like(d) 1password alot and maybe if some others feel the same way I do they could change their mind. Any +1s to this?

You already know about this, it's the extensions support you are dropping. I need to use firefox 3.6 for work and unfortunately don't have an easy way to downgrade safari (i'd like to use 5.1 anyway).

I purchased 1password so that I could use it anywhere. I realize that's hard work to support lots of platforms but I'd much rather you did that work than new features. 1password isn't like google docs, the whole point of the program is that the convenience of using it everywhere.

I would be a very happy customer if you hadn't done any new features in the last year and did support every browser possible. I do want my passwords secure and with me everywhere.

Sad to part, for little while you were a solution to my password woes.

Comments

• Gnoober
    edited July 2011
    [b]+1[/b]

I wholeheartedly agree. This is completely paradoxical at best. If anything, they should support more browsers (Opera, for instance), instead of - like in this case - dropping support for a major one. Although, one could always use Dropbox, regardsless of browser or system.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to the forums, jjm.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. While there are [url="http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/4856-webkit-based-browser-support-in-lion/"]numerous[/url] [url="http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/4480-camino-not-supported-in-36-betas/"]reasons[/url] for why it is not possible to continue to support some browsers which we have previously supported, it sounds like an explanation is not what you are looking for.

If you are still within the 30 day refund period, we will absolutely honor your refund request. You don't even have to have a reason. Please email us at support@agilebits.com, so we can assist you better with this.

For others coming across this thread, here is a list of the [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/requirements.html#supported_web_browsers_and_applications"]supported browsers[/url] (taken from 1Password's User Guide):

[b]Lion and Snow Leopard[/b]

These browsers have 1Password’s functionality integrated directly into them on Lion and Snow Leopard:

[list]

[*]Safari 5

[*]Firefox 4 & 5

[*]Chrome

[*]Rockmelt

[/list]

[b]Snow Leopard[/b]

These browsers are supported in Snow Leopard but not Lion:

[list]

[*]WebKit

[*]Fluid (no toolbar icon, use contextual/right-click menu; pinned SSBs unsupported)

[*]NetNewsWire 3

[*]DEVONagent 2

[*]iCab 4 (no toolbar icon, use contextual/right-click menu)

[*]OmniWeb 5

[/list]

Starting in 1Password 3.6, some browsers plugins are no longer included. You will need to [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html"]download an older version of 1Password[/url] for 1Password to work in the following browsers:

[list]

[*]Firefox 3

[*]Camino 2

[*]Flock 2

[/list]

I hope that helps someone else make an informed decision. We also have a free 30 day trial available for folks who would like to kick the tires before making a purchase. Between the 30 day trial and the 30 day money back period, that's about a sixth of a year to try 1Password. We really hope you like it, and we are always working to improve it.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • tomeg
    tomeg Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Does this mean you will no longer be supporting other browsers in 1P 3.x Lion, period? Or, are you working on/considering developing extensions for the now-excluded browsers, e.g. iCab, Opera, etc.?

Thanks. /Tom G
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Unfortunately, I can't comment on the future. There are far too many factors to say with any certain what lies ahead. Right now, we don't have an easy replacement for the Scripting Additions technology that Apple removed in Lion. That is how we have integrated with WebKit-based browsers for years and its removal late in Lion's development is what has caused us to throw out five years of code to develop the new Safari 5.1 extension. What this means is that without sufficient native extension APIs like Safari, Firefox, and Chrome have, there is not a quick solution to integration with other browsers. There is no system-wide "hook" like the Scripting Additions in the past.

We have some tricks up our sleeves, but I cannot promise anything. I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,
  • I respectfully ask you consider adding support for Opera. If there is a way to request this other than the forum site I'd be happy to do it.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='Joe M.' timestamp='1312402046' post='36489']

I respectfully ask you consider adding support for Opera. If there is a way to request this other than the forum site I'd be happy to do it.

[/quote]

Consider it requested, thanks Joe.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    I just wanted to add something to jjm's original point about FF3 support.

I wish I could have kept Firefox 3 as it would have made our lives easier and many customers happier. Unfortunately, the way Mozilla decided to handle Firefox 4, 5 and soon 6, it was an untenable situation. Among other problems, we'd need to have 4 checkboxes in the preferences! We felt we needed to start dropping support for the older versions, and I'm not looking forward to Firefox 6 which is coming out in just under 2 weeks because we might be forced to drop Firefox 4 support, too.

On the bright side, the new extension we're developing for FF6 will be all JavaScript and therefore will be able to support multiple versions of FF. Unfortunately, we use technologies that require FF6, so it won't help in the short run.

I'm sorry I couldn't fix your root issue, but hopefully you can see no one was happy about this change.