This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Cannot install safari extension after upgrading to Lion

<div class="IPBDescription">Frame Load Interrupted</div>I tried to install safari extension, but Safari gives an error message "Failed to open page" (see activity window). In the activity window it is said: "frame load interrupted"

Best regards,

Aleksandar

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    I'm sorry that you are having this problem, Aleksandar!

Please try reinstalling the Safari extension like this:

[b]Remove the 1Password extension[/b]

[list=1]

[*]Open Safari

[*]Go to the Safari menu > Preferences > Extensions

[*]Select the 1Password extension

[*]Click “Uninstall”

[*]Close Safari

[/list]

[b]Reinstall the Safari extension[/b]

[list=1]

[*]Open 1Password

[*]Go to the 1Password menu > Preferences > Browsers

[*]Click the “Install Safari Extension” button

[*]When prompted, click “Install”

[/list]

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Hello,

I uninstalled the safari extension per your instruction, and tried to re-installed it. However, the same problem occurs.

Best regards,

Aleksandare
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    [quote name='Aleksandar Katanovic' timestamp='1311286679' post='32785']

I tried to install safari extension, but Safari gives an error message "Failed to open page" (see activity window). In the activity window it is said: "frame load interrupted"

Best regards,

Aleksandar

[/quote]

Hi Aleksander, please try visiting this page in SafarI: [url="http://agilebits.com/extension/activate/safari"]http://agilebits.com/extension/activate/safari[/url]

I hope that helps.

This error usually happen because there is something else interfering with the way Safari loads the local file, either by another extension or an internet plugin. Do you use a download manager?
  • Aleksandar Katanovic
    edited July 2011
    [quote name='MikeT' timestamp='1311406664' post='33247']

Hi Aleksander, please try visiting this page in SafarI: [url="http://agilebits.com/extension/activate/safari"]http://agilebits.com/extension/activate/safari[/url]

I hope that helps.

This error usually happen because there is something else interfering with the way Safari loads the local file, either by another extension or an internet plugin. Do you use a download manager?

[/quote]

I have visited the page, which tells me to use the update-option. However, there is no option for updating 1Password in Preferences under Safari. I do not use other extensions in Safari, neither do I use a download manager. The problems started after I upgraded my OS to Lion Mac OS X 10.7

Best regards,

Aleksandar
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    [quote name='Aleksandar Katanovic' timestamp='1311435508' post='33329']

I have visited the page, which tells me to use the update-option. However, there is no option for updating 1Password in Preferences under Safari. I do not use other extensions in Safari, neither do I use a download manager. The problems started after I upgraded my OS to Lion Mac OS X 10.7

Best regards,

Aleksandar

[/quote]

Hi Aleksander, please skip to the second part, where it said:

[b]Install 1Password Extension[/b]
  • OK, it is now installed, but it does not appear in the top menu bar. I have checked and unchecked the option in the Preferences for 1Password, but it does not solve the problem.

Best regards,

Aleksandar
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    [quote name='Aleksandar Katanovic' timestamp='1311444735' post='33379']

OK, it is now installed, but it does not appear in the top menu bar. I have checked and unchecked the option in the Preferences for 1Password, but it does not solve the problem.

Best regards,

Aleksandar

[/quote]

Can you see it in Safari > Preferences > Extensions?

If you do, try to use View > Customize menu in Safari and see if there is a "1P" toolbar button available.
  • I have it in the Safari toolbar, but not on the main top menu where the apple icon and the name of the active application is. Do you understand what I mean?

Best regards,

Aleksandar
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    [quote name='Aleksandar Katanovic' timestamp='1311446918' post='33411']

I have it in the Safari toolbar, but not on the main top menu where the apple icon and the name of the active application is. Do you understand what I mean?

Best regards,

Aleksandar

[/quote]

Yes, I am sorry for the confusion!

The official extensions API that we are now using do not allow the extension to modify the main menu.

We can only add a toolbar button, a few items in the context menu and that's pretty much it.
  • After following your instructions twice, to reinstall the extension, I still can't get 1Password to go past the "frame load interrupted" message. I see that Safari is trying to access a file in the /var folder, but it then fails.

Any help possible?
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    [quote name='Photoflash' timestamp='1311447568' post='33414']

After following your instructions twice, to reinstall the extension, I still can't get 1Password to go past the "frame load interrupted" message. I see that Safari is trying to access a file in the /var folder, but it then fails.

Any help possible?

[/quote]

Hi Photoflash, that happens even after you click on the link in the “Install 1Password extension section”? The link is a live link, it shouldn’t be opening via /var anymore. Click on [url="http://aws.cachefly.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password.safariextz"]this link[/url] in Safari instead.
  • [quote name='roustem' timestamp='1311447137' post='33412']

Yes, I am sorry for the confusion!

The official extensions API that we are now using do not allow the extension to modify the main menu.

We can only add a toolbar button, a few items in the context menu and that's pretty much it.

[/quote]

OK, thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Aleksandar
  • [quote name='Aleksandar Katanovic' timestamp='1311451498' post='33432']

OK, thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Aleksandar

[/quote]

Hey Aleksander,

On behalf of Mike, you are most welcome!

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Smudge
    Smudge Junior Member
    [quote name='MikeT' timestamp='1311450152' post='33428']

Hi Photoflash, that happens even after you click on the link in the “Install 1Password extension section”? The link is a live link, it shouldn’t be opening via /var anymore. Click on [url="http://aws.cachefly.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password.safariextz"]this link[/url] in Safari instead.

[/quote]

I came here to report the same issue. OSX 10.7, Safari 5.1, 1Password 3.7.1.BETA-2 (build 31087)

When I click on the Install Safari Extension in the Browser section of the 1Password preferences, it launches Safari, gives me a warning about installing extensions and asks to confirm. I click on Install and gives me a blank screen. In the status bar at the bottom, it says to get more info from the Activity Window. The Activity Window shows that it is trying to load the following URL (which is my internet temp folder) and on the right it has "Frame load interrupted".

file:///private/var/folders/dm/wzh7n6vn7td_1171qbwzpttw0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(A%20Document%20Being%20Saved%20By%201Password%202)/1PasswordBeta.safariextz

Looking in that directory and all the permissions are valid for me but it was empty. I then tried again but when it asked if I want to install it, I switched back to that directory and I see the 1PasswordBeta.safariextz file. When I click on the Install button, that file disappears.

Using Little Snitch, I monitored Safari and 1Password for network activity to Cachefly to see if it was downloading from the live link. Nothing appeared in the connection history so it must be grabbing the file from within the 1Password.app bundle and putting it into the temp folder.

So I tried opening the safariextz file from the 1Password.app bundle and it gave me the same error message.

However, I thought that I might be able to install it from within the Extensions section of the Safari preferences and the 1Password extension was already there!

So, to make a long story short. The extension installs but there is no notification of it so people assume it failed, especially when they see the "Frame load interrupted" message. So is there a way for the extension to load a webpage or show a dialog stating that it was installed?
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    We are working on the "first run" experience. Thank you for this update. It will help is in troubleshooting similar issues and provides confirmation that we are headed in the right direction with the "first run" stuff we are working on. Much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.