This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Unable to delete items

SpiralOcean
SpiralOcean Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
Lost the ability to delete items. The option is grayed out in contextual menu and delete key doesn't work.

Version 3.2.1 (build 30653)

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Sorry for the trouble. I'm really not certain what's going on here. Please look at OS X's Console utility when you try to delete an item and see if there is any 1Password-related output printed there.
  • SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean Member
    edited December 1969
    I've tried deleting a couple different ways:

Here is my setup:

select All smart folder

search for items to delete

select item and drag to trash

console output:

6/10/10 7:53:05 AM 1PasswordAgent[618] reloadAllObjects

6/10/10 7:53:05 AM 1PasswordAgent[618] Database (agilekeychain:/Users/stephenzinn/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain) load time [Cache]: 0.281 (2554 objects)

When I drag the item to the trash, the search text disappears and all items are shown. When I search for the items again, it is still there and did not delete.

• When right clicking on an item, delete is greyed out, so I can't delete the item and therefore no console messages.

• When selecting the login section and searching for an item

dragging to the trash, same behavior as above.

can not right click and delete because delete is greyed out.

Hmm...

I just browsed the trash and the item is in the trash.

It seems one of the problems is search is searching the trash. Is this a bug or is there a way to not search the trash?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    You got it, that's what's going on: items in the Trash are being displayed in search results. Right now we're not considering this a bug. I guess it depends on our customers and whether people really find this to be problematic. Gmail also searches the Trash and includes what it finds in the search results. This helps me find things that I shouldn't have deleted. However, it does differentiate between items that appear in the Trash and those that don't, so perhaps we need to consider doing something like that too.

On the other hand, maybe this is not what the developers intended at all. Maybe it's a bug and everything I've just said will be irrelevant. We'll have to check with them when they get back from their conference. =)

In any case, sorry for the confusion!
  • SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean Member
    edited December 1969
    Here's a devil's advocate argument against this behavior.

My primary way of finding items is searching. I have around 800 items I use in 1Password. The quickest way of finding something is not by browsing but by searching.

If I wanted to search the trash, then selecting the trash can and searching should be the way to search trash.

If trash search results are included in the search... then items in the trash should be marked in some way as being in the trash. Currently they are not.
  • SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean Member
    edited December 1969
    Another thought... the original topic of the post is cannot delete. When I search for items I cannot delete based on the search results. Again, searching saves time. If I use the quick fill in a web browser and see 3 different logins for a website, it's quicker for me to search based on that name, find the outdated logins and delete.
  • SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean Member
    edited December 1969
    Another part of my workflow is I manage my own software licenses, login's etc and work software licenses, logins. I manage this by having two folders, one for work and one for home. When I want to find items at work, I select the work folder and search. There is no way for me to select logins and only view work logins. Or software licenses, passwords, etc.
  • SpiralOcean
    SpiralOcean Member
    edited December 1969
    Found the preference that allows me to search everything or Selected Selection. This will keep trash items from showing up in a search.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 1969
    Thank for the updates, SpiralOcean.

We're still waiting to hear back from the developers if the Trash searching is a bug or a feature, and once we know more we'll update this thread. I'm glad you've been able to find a workaround though.