This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Master Password Field Pre-filled

oogabooga
oogabooga Junior Member
edited July 2011 in Mac
I'm running 1Password 3.6.5 (31075) on a fully updated 10.6.8 install (Macbook Pro 2010 i7).

Whenever I open the 1password App, my master password is already typed in for me (i.e. all I need to do is type enter to view all my 1passwords. I've tried deleting or changing the pre-typed field before quitting, but still every time I open the app my correct master password is pre-typed.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning is that in 1password I have checked the "Never prompt for master password" option, but I have also checked the "Disable automatic unlock for 1password" option.

How do I stop this (i.e. I want the master password field blank upon opening the app, but don't want to have to type in my master PW for every login).

Thanks for any help,

Sam

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Sorry for the confusion here, Sam.

"Never prompt for master password" will do what it says. You will need to uncheck that box in order to stop your master password from being filled in the main application. Previously, this also applied to the browser extension, but [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/automatic_unlock.html"]there is a known issue with this in the new Safari 5.1 extension[/url]. We are working on a solution.

Thanks for asking about this!
  • oogabooga
    oogabooga Junior Member
    [quote name='khad' timestamp='1311665782' post='34065']

Sorry for the confusion here, Sam.

"Never prompt for master password" will do what it says. You will need to uncheck that box in order to stop your master password from being filled in the main application. Previously, this also applied to the browser extension, but [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/automatic_unlock.html"]there is a known issue with this in the new Safari 5.1 extension[/url]. We are working on a solution.

Thanks for asking about this!

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

It'd be great if we could have more control here. When my browser is unlocked, people can't actually read or copy my passwords, but if someone were to sit down at my computer and fire up 1PW, they could read everything. I can and will disable "Never prompt for master password", but I'd prefer more control.

Cheers,

Sam
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    Hi Sam!

[quote name='oogabooga' timestamp='1311967721' post='34965']

It'd be great if we could have more control here.

[/quote]

You might find that UNchecking the box by "disable automatic unlock for all applications" gives you the control that you want. With this unchecked, when you lock/unlock 1Password in one place (say the browser or in the application itself) then it will lock/unlock in the other locations. If you are using Safari 5.1, you will need to be running our latest Beta version of 1Password for this feature to work.

[quote]

When my browser is unlocked, people can't actually read or copy my passwords, but if someone were to sit down at my computer and fire up 1PW, they could read everything. I can and will disable "Never prompt for master password"

[/quote]

I like to think of "Never prompt for master password" as training wheels for getting started with 1Password. It can help get some people over the initial hurdles when they start to use it, giving them one less thing to actually do. But once using 1Password becomes familiar, people should turn that off and tinker with the other settings in [i]1Password > Preferences > Security[/i] to get unlocking and locking working in a way that works for them.

Cheers,

-j
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited July 2011
    [quote]When my browser is unlocked, people can't actually read or copy my passwords, [/quote]

I also want to follow up on this and state emphatically that this is not true. If 1Password is unlocked, anyone who is at your computer has full access to all your 1Password data. Not only can they reveal and copy passwords from the extension, but even if that were not possible, anyone could log into your email account and simply begin resetting all your passwords to whatever they like.

For these reasons, as Jeff mentioned, we strongly advise against using the "Never prompt for master password" option. We also — even more strongly — advise you to always lock 1Password when you are stepping away form your computer. You can either do this manually by clicking the Lock button or using the auto-lock settings ([b]Preferences > Security[/b]). With "Lock when sleeping" enabled you can simply close the lid on your Mac laptop or otherwise put your Mac to sleep. 1Password will be locked.

There are a number of good options in there. [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/preferences_security.html"]You can read more about how they work in the 1Password User Guide.[/url]

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • oogabooga
    oogabooga Junior Member
    Thanks Jeffery and Khad for your replies - I'll give your suggestions a go.

PS - the new extension for Safari (3.7.b7 is what I currently have) is great - the UI is smaller and nicer, and the command-\ works more or less like it did a month ago.

Cheers,

Sameer
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    [quote name='oogabooga' timestamp='1312316860' post='36150']

Thanks Jeffery and Khad for your replies - I'll give your suggestions a go.

[/quote]

Please let us know if you're still having any issue. And as I said in another thread, an even newer build of the Safari extension is available so try it first.