This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How to install 1Password in Safari in Lion

HI,

Since I upgrade to Lion, my 1Password has been lots of problems. My 1P button in Safari 5.1 is empty in all log-in webpages. The 1P button works in Chrome and Firefox, but not in Safari. Since both 1P button and context manu both stop working, 1Password is close to useless in Safari. I have tried all the trouble shooting procedures in your FAQ, including reinstall extension, folder reset, manually position 1P in the manu bar. None of them has helped. I would like to have some advises. Thanks for any inputs in advance.

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, chiyun! I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

Let's make sure you're all set up with the latest version of 1Password and our new extension, which supports Safari 5.1 on Lion and Snow Leopard:

- First, quit Safari, open 1Password, and go to 1Password > Check for Updates to make sure you're running the latest version

- If there is an update waiting for you, perform the update, and once 1Password restarts, enter your Master Password to unlock it.

- 1Password should then prompt you to install our updated extension that supports Safari 5.1. This will automatically start Safari to begin the installation.

If you're already running the latest version of 1Password but the 1P button in Safari is not working, let's try a clean re-install of the extension:

- In Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, then click 1Password in the left sidebar there. Click the uninstall button, and quit Safari.

- Now in 1Password, go to 1Password > Preferences > Browsers, and click the "Install Safari Extension" button.

- This should automatically start Safari to begin the installation.

When the installation is done, you will have a new, redesigned extension that gives you more and faster access to more of you data right in the browser. We're still working on reimplementing all of the features from the previous extension, but this redesign was necessary to comply with some major changes Apple made to Safari 5.1. Check out this document for a quick intro to the new extension:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/safari_5.1_intro.html

And take a look at the top right section of our 1Password FAQs page for links to more answers to common questions and troubleshooting guides:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/faqs.html

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • Hi, I have been long term 1Password user and have been getting lots of problems since I upgrade to Lion. The most severe problems are with the Safari 5.1 and I have updated the extension to 3.7 beta now. Below are the problems I have with Safari:

1. Context menu disappear

2. 1P button doesn't respond at all. I click the 1P button, but nothing happens. Some people seem to get a window pop-up according to other threads in this forum, but I got nothing.

So currently 1Password is completely not functional in Safari. Anybody got a similar problem? Any solution to this? Any inputs will be appreciated.
  • I have updated the Safari extension to 3.7.0 beta by a clean installation as you instructed. Still no luck after the update from 3.6.5.

Symptom remains the same. When I click the 1P button, either nothing happen or an empty grey window came out from the 1P button. This is only in Safari. In Firefox, the grey window has the login information for the site. Things are working in Firefox, but not in Safari.

By the way, I don't like the new interface in the Firefox, too big, too many clicks. Autosave doesn't work consistently either. I think you should go back to the old way. This new interface is not an improvement. It is a step back.

Chi
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    I'm sorry that you are still having trouble. Please try quitting Safari with Option-Command-Q to clear some caches. This can often get things working for folks. We have some update to the new extension on the way which I think you will like if you prefer the old extension (which is no longer possible to use in Safari 5.1 due to technical changes Apple made).

Please let me know how it goes when you "Quit and Discard Windows" in Safari.