This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password 5.1 extension should force focus when its dialog is open

fongd
fongd Junior Member
This has happened to me on at least a couple of occasions, so I thought I'd share my concerns here.

With the new 1Password extension, I've found that it's possible for its dialog to be open but for focus to be on the web page behind it. Where this becomes a problem is when you are asked to enter your master password. It's happened to me where I bring up the 1Password dialog (Command-\) and am prompted to enter my master password. However, instead of entering it into the 1Password dialog, the focus is actually on a text field on the page behind the dialog. This results in me typing my 1Password master password onto the web form! This is even worse because there is no blinking cursor or other indication that focus is on the master password dialog, forcing me to reach for my trackpad and click the master password dialog just to make sure that I'm actually entering my password into 1Password and not the form behind it.

(Yes, I know — fix the problem where 1Password keeps asking for the master password even though you've got it stored in your keychain and this problem is mitigated, but without consistent focus on 1Password when its dialog box is up, it'll make keyboard navigation of the 1Password dialog hit or miss.)

Any chance you can make that happen soon?

Comments

• Hello fongd,

The "no cursor" and "cursor focus remains on webpage" behaviors are both known issue that we are investigated.

Regarding "cursor focus remains on webpage":

I am able to replicate by launching an entry from [i][b]within[/b][/i] the 1Password application. If the Safari extension is locked, the UI will popup, but the cursor focus remains on the webpage. Typed characters appear on the webpage as you described. If I am [i][b]already[/b][/i] on the webpage, clicking the 1P icon will bring up the Safari UI with the cursor properly focused in the Master Password entry field.

It appears that the issue occurs [i][b]only[/b][/i] when launching from within the 1P application with the Safari extension locked. If you are able to replicate using other methods, please let us know. In the interim, to be safe, please click on the Master Password field every time you are presented with the login UI.

I'm sorry that I do not have anything to report regarding timing of a fix, but we do understand the importance of resolving the cursor focus behavior.

Thank you for reporting your experience.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • fongd
    fongd Junior Member
    [quote name='bswins' timestamp='1311939680' post='34900']

The "no cursor" and "cursor focus remains on webpage" behaviors are both known issue that we are investigated.

Brandt

[/quote]

Thanks Brandt! The new 1Password extension has been tough getting used to, but I appreciate all of the hard work you guys are putting in to get things right!

- Derek
  • Hey Derek,

Thanks for understanding. I appreciate the kind words, and I'll pass them along to the developers!

Cheers!

Brandt