This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Importing CSV?

Hi,

I did some googling and searched the forum and the other documentation but didn't find any articles on using the import function in 1Password. Specifically I have a large CSV export from SafePlace that needs to come into 1Password. I'd like to understand the mechanism under the import so I can get this right. I have 280 records in about 6 categories.

Thanks for your help with this.

-- Craig

Comments

• roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    [quote name='Colonel Panic' timestamp='1312252183' post='35836']

Hi,

I did some googling and searched the forum and the other documentation but didn't find any articles on using the import function in 1Password. Specifically I have a large CSV export from SafePlace that needs to come into 1Password. I'd like to understand the mechanism under the import so I can get this right. I have 280 records in about 6 categories.

Thanks for your help with this.

-- Craig

[/quote]

Craig, there is a limited support for CSV import available in 1Password. Please select File > Import, choose "CSV or Delimited Text" and follow the instructions.
  • [quote name='roustem' timestamp='1312252472' post='35839']

Craig, there is a limited support for CSV import available in 1Password. Please select File > Import, choose "CSV or Delimited Text" and follow the instructions.

[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply Roustem. I had explored the Import function some. I was curious about how you treat information in the notes fields. If I assign, lets say 2 fields from my tab separated file to a single notes field in the target will they overwrite each other or will they merge? If I can get all the info into 1Password I can spend some time in the import folder munging the data into sane places. It also seems that although I can specify a stating record number, I don't seem able to limit where the import stops. Would you recommend I split the file into discrete files by category, and import them separately?

Thanks for your insight,

-- Craig
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    Currently, 1Password can only import Logins and Secure Notes -- if you can split the items in these two categories that would help.

I would just do a test run and see how it works, you can easily delete the imported items.