This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Update ever coming?

binaryeric
binaryeric Senior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
Is AWS going to release an update to Knox to at least fix some of the bugs and bizarro issues with the version they inherited?

Comments

• macpug
    macpug Agile Customer Care
    edited June 2010
    Yes, absolutely we are going to release an update!

We haven't had it that long, and our devs have been in San Francisco for two weeks, the first week for a "sooper sekrit" project and this week for WWDC. But, you bet, an update will be coming. Believe me, we're as impatient as everyone else, but you know by now that they don't want to release something just to put it out there. There are some cool things planned for Knox, and we've gotten some great suggestions from you guys as well (keep the feature requests coming!).

So, please bear with us just a bit longer and you won't be disappointed. Cheers :)
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    I just think that Knox should release an update that at least addresses the existing BUGS... not the features
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited June 2010
    [quote name='binaryeric']I just think that Knox should release an update that at least addresses the existing BUGS... not the features[/QUOTE]

Nobody said that Agile is delaying any bug fixes, they are well known for releasing rapid and multiple builds in short amount of times for just bug fixes and they don't prioritize new features over bug fixes. To some people, this sound bad because of releasing multiple builds in short period of time may indicate inexperience and sloppy work but this isn't true of Agile. It may sound like I work for Agile, but this is based on my two years as user for their 1PW application, I'm used to downloading a new build every week (not even betas, stable ones).

Based on that, Agile will probably apply their same methodology to Knox but because they just bought Knox a few week ago and most of the team were at WWDC learning new stuff, they haven't had the time to actually view the whole source code and figure out how to proceed from now on. It's going to take some time.

Programmers often have a habit of coming up with new features while at same time trying to fix all the bugs. It is totally possible that a bug fix release can be full of new features and you're right, it is unwise to delay bug fixes for the sake of adding in new features as well. [I]What Cindy was saying is that Agile don't just release an update that accomplish nothing just for the sake that some users want some updates[/I] (and believe me, there are some users that'll freak out and love any update with nothing in it).
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MikhailT']Ever stop to think that the actual new features might replace the previous code with the bug in it? Programmers often come up with new ideas at the same time that they are trying to fix the bugs, so it's not like they aren't working on fixing the bugs. Programmers also need to take a break from debugging as fresh eyes and mind often is required to come up with complex solutions and believe it or not, some programmers create new features as a way to take a break from the debugging process.

I assure you, Agile is working on both the bug fixes and the features as well.[/QUOTE]

Do you work for Agile? I am a software developer and IMO it is unwise to delay a release because you want to release a new feature that will replace a segment of code that has a bug.... so that you don't have to address the bug.

Ever stop to think that saying "ever stop to think" might not be the most friendly way to start a post?
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited June 2010
    [quote name='binaryeric']Do you work for Agile? I am a software developer and IMO it is unwise to delay a release because you want to release a new feature that will replace a segment of code that has a bug.... so that you don't have to address the bug.

Ever stop to think that saying "ever stop to think" might not be the most friendly way to start a post?[/QUOTE]

I apologize, after reading it, it sounded rude and completely wrong actually. Please read it again, I edited it to be much more clear, more friendly and explain my reasoning for it. I actually meant to draft it and rephrase it but I got called away and I pressed the post button thinking it sounded fine to me. Thanks for bringing it up to me. I try to be friendly everywhere I go but without the body language and tone you see and hear in life, what people really try to convey can sound totally the opposite on the Internet.

To answer your question, no I don't work for Agile and I was a software developer myself (pre Java 1.5) before switching to systems and network admin. I had a lot of debugging experience and many of the developers I worked with had this habit of adding new features while "debugging" and even I did this. I had a few bug in the netcode for server/client access and I actually ended up just throwing the whole code out and re-write the whole section from the scratch because fixing the bugs was going to take more time than if I rewrote them in a different way (I also had plans to rewrite it, so that made the decision easier). Not that what is what Agile is doing, just trying to explain.
  • 1Jeff
    1Jeff Members
    edited December 1969
    For the record...

I can see both sides to that issue. I bought Knox the second I found out Agile took over development. I had been testing it for a while and knew that it would be an excellent time to purchase. I hadn't yet purchased because I saw very little activity with it. Agile will certainly make good on their promise and it will continue to improve. I myself and tired of some of the bugs, but I know they'll be fixed soon. You won't be disappointed, for sure. :)

1J
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    We have been working out some of the more serious bugs, including some crashes, from the Knox code. While we're not ready to release it yet that time will likely come soon. Thank you for your patience!
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    I just published 2.0.2 with several fixes. Chad's main focus was on some crashers but he squashed some other issues as well.

As for "bizarro issues", I'm afraid we'll need more details on that problem description before I can say whether it is fixed or not :)
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare']I just published 2.0.2 with several fixes. Chad's main focus was on some crashers but he squashed some other issues as well.

As for "bizarro issues", I'm afraid we'll need more details on that problem description before I can say whether it is fixed or not :)[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, how often does Knox check for update? I never got any prompt to update like I do with 1PW. I had to manually check for it after I saw this post just now. I don't know if anybody else got the prompt.
  • fiskabollen
    fiskabollen Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi everyone. Just downloaded 2.0.2 and I'm afraid I still have the same problem as before: since reinstalling to Snow Leopard, Knox just hangs. Menu icon gives me a busy cursor on floatover and the Knox process sits there gobbling up real memory to over 500MB.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='fiskabollen']Hi everyone. Just downloaded 2.0.2 and I'm afraid I still have the same problem as before: since reinstalling to Snow Leopard, Knox just hangs. Menu icon gives me a busy cursor on floatover and the Knox process sits there gobbling up real memory to over 500MB.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. Is there any errors showing up in the Console.app?
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MikhailT']I'm curious, how often does Knox check for update? I never got any prompt to update like I do with 1PW. I had to manually check for it after I saw this post just now. I don't know if anybody else got the prompt.[/QUOTE]

It should check automatically on launch and will also check every 24 hours when running.

I published 2.0.2 on Wednesday at around 5pm. Your post was 16 hours ago, or Thursday at 11pm, so I would have expected it to have asked you before you posted.

Do you see the log message "Check for Update" in your Console? This should be in the Knox.log instead, but I see we accidentally left it going to Console. I'll fix that in the next update but check the Console for now :) What dates/time is this message logged?

Also, next time this happens, try restarting Knox and see if it detects the update.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    Hello fiskabollen, and welcome to the forums!

[quote name='fiskabollen']Just downloaded 2.0.2 and I'm afraid I still have the same problem as before: since reinstalling to Snow Leopard, Knox just hangs. Menu icon gives me a busy cursor on floatover and the Knox process sits there gobbling up real memory to over 500MB.[/QUOTE]

This is very strange. I guess the first thing I would recommend is try using Finder to open the vault and see if it behaves any differently. Assuming that works fine, close the vault and try again with Knox. If it hangs, open Activity Monitor, select the Knox process, and click Sample Process from the toolbar and send us the report as [email]support@agile.ws[/email], along with a link to this forum post so we can connect the dots.
  • fiskabollen
    [quote name='dteare' timestamp='1277493088' post='5060']

Hello fiskabollen, and welcome to the forums!

This is very strange. I guess the first thing I would recommend is try using Finder to open the vault and see if it behaves any differently. Assuming that works fine, close the vault and try again with Knox. If it hangs, open Activity Monitor, select the Knox process, and click Sample Process from the toolbar and send us the report as [email]support@agile.ws[/email], along with a link to this forum post so we can connect the dots.

[/quote]

Hi, thanks for your reply. A year later (!) I thought I'd give Knox another go and see if any updates had helped; they haven't - same problem still.

I have my personal folder as a vault (and did have before I originally installed Knox) and this has always worked ok through Finder, etc.

I do seem to be able to create encrypted disk images ok through Disk utility.

I've looked in console.app and noticed this:

17/06/2011 08:24:20 Knox[154] ERROR! Couldn't get process info for pid 149

17/06/2011 08:36:21 Knox[154] ERROR in -[NSFileManager(NSFileManagerKnoxAdditions) overrideLaunchServicesforBundlePath:]! _LSGetStrongBindingForRef returned error -10814 for path '/Users/.mfrancis/mfrancis.sparsebundle'.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited June 2011
    Each user in Mac OS X has a full "Name" and a "Short Name" as defined in the Users pane of System Preferences. The short name can contain up to 255 lowercase characters with no spaces (or up to 8 character in Mac OS X 10.1.5 or earlier). This is the name used to create a user's home directory (also known as the user's Home or Home folder) in the Users folder.

From the log entries you posted it looks like you have an invalid "Short Name":

[code].mfrancis[/code]

Is this the case, or have I somehow misunderstood the log entry?
  • fiskabollen
    Interesting. My short name is set as normal without the initial dot, so perhaps something has happened in the configuration of Knox.

Does anyone know where this is set? Is it just a case of correcting this is a config file?

[quote name='khad' timestamp='1308311219' post='29402']

Each user in Mac OS X has a full "Name" and a "Short Name" as defined in the Users pane of System Preferences. The short name can contain up to 255 lowercase characters with no spaces (or up to 8 character in Mac OS X 10.1.5 or earlier). This is the name used to create a user's home directory (also known as the user's Home or Home folder) in the Users folder.

From the log entries you posted it looks like you have an invalid "Short Name":

[code].mfrancis[/code]

Is this the case, or have I somehow misunderstood the log entry?

[/quote]
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    To diagnose this issue, I will need to see some of your log files to see what's happening. Please send an email to support@agilebits.com and attach this file:

Home > Library > Logs > Knox > Knox.log

For some users, this file may not exist. Don't be alarmed if that's your situation as well.

I'll also need to look at the other logs in the Console.app while you attempt to reproduce the problem with Knox. You can get these logs as follows:

1. Launch Console.app which can be found in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

2. Click the "Clear Display" button on the toolbar.

3. Launch Knox and reproduce the problem. Then wait 15 seconds to let the Console refresh.

4. Press Command-A to select all the logs and Command-C to copy them to your clipboard.

5. After starting a reply to this email, press Command-V to paste the logs.

Please send me these logs and I'll try to help more.

Thanks!