This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

more and/or alternative keyboard shortcuts

canoeberry
canoeberry Junior Member
Hi there,

The safari plugin is working very well. Much better than Chrome ever achieved. I have switched back to Safari because Safari works best on Lion (except for huge memory leaks, but I digress).

The shortcuts are great but could you add a few more? In particular, after you popup the 1password window:

Control-N = Down Arrow

Control-P = Up arrow

Control-F = Right arrow

Control N and P are pervasive on the mac platform as (next line and previous line, taken from Emacs). Control-F means forward on the Mac (also from Emacs) and I think would be a nice way to move to the right. Moving off the keyboard to find the arrow keys is not something I like to do.

Just a suggestion. Hmm - now that I have written this I hope suggests are welcome on this forum!

Cheers!

JP

Comments

• Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='canoeberry' timestamp='1312387001' post='36409']

Hi there,

The safari plugin is working very well. Much better than Chrome ever achieved. I have switched back to Safari because Safari works best on Lion (except for huge memory leaks, but I digress).

The shortcuts are great but could you add a few more? In particular, after you popup the 1password window:

Control-N = Down Arrow

Control-P = Up arrow

Control-F = Right arrow

Control N and P are pervasive on the mac platform as (next line and previous line, taken from Emacs). Control-F means forward on the Mac (also from Emacs) and I think would be a nice way to move to the right. Moving off the keyboard to find the arrow keys is not something I like to do.

Just a suggestion. Hmm - now that I have written this I hope suggests are welcome on this forum!

Cheers!

JP

[/quote]

Thanks JP, we're always open to suggestions!
  • Hi JP,

[quote name='canoeberry' timestamp='1312387001' post='36409']

The safari plugin is working very well. Much better than Chrome ever achieved. I have switched back to Safari because Safari works best on Lion (except for huge memory leaks, but I digress).[/quote]

That's great to hear, and I'm pleased to say that once we're 'done' with Safari we're going to start bringing all of the new goodness across to both Chrome and Firefox. We had working extensions there already, so obviously the focus at first had to be on supporting Safari 5.1, which would have had no support at all if we hadn't created this new extension.

[quote]

Control-N = Down Arrow

Control-P = Up arrow

Control-F = Right arrow

Control N and P are pervasive on the mac platform as (next line and previous line, taken from Emacs). Control-F means forward on the Mac (also from Emacs) and I think would be a nice way to move to the right. Moving off the keyboard to find the arrow keys is not something I like to do.[/quote]

That's an interesting idea, I guess now that the extension is using more keyboard navigation having extra shortcuts would be useful, but I think the ones you're suggesting would fall into a 'nice to have' category, not every user is going to know those shortcuts and we'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that we can't promise if it's something we can add at this time.

[quote]Just a suggestion. Hmm - now that I have written this I hope suggests are welcome on this forum![/quote]

Suggestions are always welcome, the only thing we ask is that you search for the forums to see if anyone has asked for the feature you're looking for already, which in this case I don't believe they have.

Thanks,
  • rfranssen
    rfranssen Junior Member
    First, thanks to Agile for always stepping up to all the issues that crop up with new software from Apple!

Here’s my issue. The disabling of the 1P contextual menu with drop down has totally interrupted my workflow. I need to be able to choose from about 40 logins for one hosting site with which I have multiple accounts. The latest revision that adds only one level of drop down gives me the small window drop down (see file) from the toolbar button. I can’t even read the entire login name! So it’s useless for me and really frustrating considering I’ve been doing this every day since 1P started (almost). Also, I need to be able to drop down to identities and I find that not working for many web popup windows and sheets from the title bar where it worked flawlessly just a week ago before 5.1.

Agile, please work to restore a typical drop down context menu.
  • [quote name='rfranssen' timestamp='1312389059' post='36430']

First, thanks to Agile for always stepping up to all the issues that crop up with new software from Apple![/quote]

You're welcome, we're all users ourselves so we wanted to make sure we had Safari 5.1 support ready to roll for it's launch with Lion and Snow Leopard.

[quote]Here’s my issue. The disabling of the 1P contextual menu with drop down has totally interrupted my workflow. I need to be able to choose from about 40 logins for one hosting site with which I have multiple accounts. The latest revision that adds only one level of drop down gives me the small window drop down (see file) from the toolbar button. I can’t even read the entire login name! So it’s useless for me and really frustrating considering I’ve been doing this every day since 1P started (almost).[/quote]

We're working to restore the ability to see your items in folders and tags for a future update to the extension, but I don't have a timeframe for when this will be.

[quote]Also, I need to be able to drop down to identities[/quote]

You can use the tab key to navigate down to the Identities section of the extension and then use the arrow keys and enter key to select an identity to fill.

[quote]And I find that not working for many web popup windows and sheets from the title bar where it worked flawlessly just a week ago before 5.1.[/quote]

We're working to restore the ability to fill pop-up windows that use standard web forms for the logins, but the sheets, which are HTTP Authentication windows, cannot be supported at this time because the Safari extensions API does not allow access to these.

[quote]Agile, please work to restore a typical drop down context menu.[/quote]

While this would make a lot of people happy, it just can't happen. With Safari 5.1, Apple removed the ability for us to interact with Safari using scripting additions, which was the technology powering our old way of integration. Because of this we've had to switch to a native Safari extension and unfortunately the frameworks for contextual menus are very limited, and so we can't bring back the old interface.

Hope that helps to clear things up,