This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

I do not like the new version

nmfeldinor@comcast.net
nmfeldinor@comcast.net Junior Member
<div class="IPBDescription">how do I revert back to the older version</div>I broke my own cardinal rule recently and downloaded the newest version of Password 1 and now everything is different. How do I get my old version back so that I can retrieve my passwords? I do not like it that I can not see the password in the edit mode.

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the new extension, we're working hard to improve things and bring back as much functionality as we can. Because of the major changes in Safari 5.1, which is an important security update, there is no way for us to go back to the old extension, it just isn't supported in Safari 5.1 at all.

That said, can you make sure you're running the latest updates of both 1Password and the extension itself. To get this new update please go to 1Password > Check for Updates from within 1Password which should prompt you to download the latest version, currently 3.7.1 at the time of writing.

Once that's done, please update the Safari extension to the latest version by performing a manual update within Safari > Preferences > Extensions as we detail at the bottom of this guide:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/safari_5.1_install_update.html

With some of the new changes in the update, there are few extra steps to follow. First of all, please go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent within 1Password and finally restart safari with Command-Option-Q to ensure the extension is properly reloaded.

Hope that helps,

[quote name='nmfeldinor@comcast.net' timestamp='1312388313' post='36421']

I broke my own cardinal rule recently and downloaded the newest version of Password 1 and now everything is different. How do I get my old version back so that I can retrieve my passwords? I do not like it that I can not see the password in the edit mode.

[/quote]
  • [quote name='stu' timestamp='1312393206' post='36452']

...Because of the major changes in Safari 5.1, which is an important security update, there is no way for us to go back to the old extension, it just isn't supported in Safari 5.1 at all.

[/quote]

If the OP is like me, it isn't about getting the old one back as much as getting the design back. The new design looks like it's for an iPhone and it is annoying to use. As an example, when I came to this site, I needed to see if I already had a userid and login. In the old design it took a mouse track and a press and hold on the 1P button. Now I have to login to 1P and wait for it to draw it's big ugly UI. In fact, that same problem exists in many of the use cases. Before it was a track, press drag, release. Ignoring the annoying login that I have to go to the keyboard for (I assume that's some bug because it didn't do that before), now it's a track, press, release, wait, lose task orientation, deal with a big ugly list drawn with crayons like iPhone apps, wait, watch the page reload then try and resume my task orientation.

So how about an agile cycle to create a version for computers instead of an iPhone fits all approach. If Agile development is as good as it's supposed to be, it shouldn't take long at all.
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='ddmincorporated' timestamp='1312396652' post='36463']

If the OP is like me, it isn't about getting the old one back as much as getting the design back. The new design looks like it's for an iPhone and it is annoying to use. As an example, when I came to this site, I needed to see if I already had a userid and login. In the old design it took a mouse track and a press and hold on the 1P button. Now I have to login to 1P and wait for it to draw it's big ugly UI. In fact, that same problem exists in many of the use cases. Before it was a track, press drag, release. Ignoring the annoying login that I have to go to the keyboard for (I assume that's some bug because it didn't do that before), now it's a track, press, release, wait, lose task orientation, deal with a big ugly list drawn with crayons like iPhone apps, wait, watch the page reload then try and resume my task orientation.

So how about an agile cycle to create a version for computers instead of an iPhone fits all approach. If Agile development is as good as it's supposed to be, it shouldn't take long at all.

[/quote]

Hi ddmincorporated,

Please update to 1Password 3.7.1. We've updated the interface to be more "Mac-like" and also addressed the constant need to enter the Master Password.

Thanks.

Ben
  • [quote name='bwoodruff' timestamp='1312396911' post='36465']

Hi ddmincorporated,

Please update to 1Password 3.7.1. We've updated the interface to be more "Mac-like" and also addressed the constant need to enter the Master Password.

Thanks.

Ben

[/quote]

I am on 3.7.1 ... on a lark, I went into the preferences and unchecked:

Lock When Sleeping

Lock When screen saver...

Which has always been confusing since I have Never Prompt for Master Password checked which, in my mind, overrides/conflicts with the Auto-Lock settings.

But changing these didn't bring back the easier to use design.
  • [quote name='ddmincorporated' timestamp='1312396652' post='36463']

If the OP is like me, it isn't about getting the old one back as much as getting the design back. The new design looks like it's for an iPhone and it is annoying to use.[/quote]

Sorry if I didn't explain this clearly, the design of the old extension using contextual menus, is one of the things that is no longer possible with Safari 5.1, those menus are too limited for us to put any meaningful functionality into.

The new extension, as of version 3.7 b4 and later, was not designed to mimic the iPhone at all, it's been designed from the ground up to work within the extensions framework of Safari and provide the best experience for everyone.

[quote]As an example, when I came to this site, I needed to see if I already had a userid and login. In the old design it took a mouse track and a press and hold on the 1P button. Now I have to login to 1P and wait for it to draw it's big ugly UI. In fact, that same problem exists in many of the use cases. Before it was a track, press drag, release. Ignoring the annoying login that I have to go to the keyboard for (I assume that's some bug because it didn't do that before), now it's a track, press, release, wait, lose task orientation, deal with a big ugly list drawn with crayons like iPhone apps, wait, watch the page reload then try and resume my task orientation.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by clicking and dragging, the old extension either required you to use click the '1P' icon and select an option from the menu, much like the current extension, or use the Command + \ keyboard shortcut to fill your details, again like we have in our current extension.

What is missing, is the right-click contextual menus when you were within a site and quickly wanted to fill your details. We're looking to see if we can bring these back, but as I mentioned above the APIs for contextual menus with Safari 5.1 are fairly limited and so we're not sure what functionality we can bring.

I'm not going to beat around the bush here, and we've said this many times in these forums, we're not going back to the old extension or interface. It just isn't possible with the frameworks in Safari 5.1 and as such it's time to move on and make this new extension be as powerful and functional as it can be.

The new interface and design are part of the package for moving to a native Safari extension, we're by no means the only developer who've had to adapt to this change and our developers are working incredibly hard to give all of our users the best support for Safari 5.1 and beyond.
  • wait a minute.... something happened ... undo. Not having to put in my password by unchecking those Auto-lock preferences changed the UI. It's no longer looking like an iPhone app. Wow, Agile IS fast!

... sorry... we now resume normal programming....
  • Ben
    Ben AWS Team
    [quote name='ddmincorporated' timestamp='1312397711' post='36471']

wait a minute.... something happened ... undo. Not having to put in my password by unchecking those Auto-lock preferences changed the UI. It's no longer looking like an iPhone app. Wow, Agile IS fast!

[/quote]

Great! Thanks for the update ddmincorporated.
  • [quote name='ddmincorporated' timestamp='1312397711' post='36471']

wait a minute.... something happened ... undo. Not having to put in my password by unchecking those Auto-lock preferences changed the UI. It's no longer looking like an iPhone app. Wow, Agile IS fast!

[/quote]

Sounds like the extension just hadn't updated properly, and I don't think that's down to anything you or we did, we've been seeing lots of inconsistent behaviour with Safari's auto-updating of extensions, all we know is that Apple say they should update 'periodically'.

Glad you like the new look though,